Generate link to Zotero record from within Standalone

My apologies if this feature already exists, but I wasn't able to locate the functionality. I have a Zotero group. If I want to send a group member a link to a paper in the group's library, I can open up the Zotero web interface for the group, find the record of interest, copy the link and send it to the other person. Generally I don't have the Zotero web interface open and I'd like to be able to generate such a link from the record entry within Zotero Standalone.

Just to be clear, I want the link to go to the Zotero record for the paper, not to doi/publisher's page for the paper.

Thanks! -Will
  • You can double-click on the group to open the group web page, but it's not currently possible to get a link to an individual item page.

We've talked about this before, but it's never been implemented. Ticket created to track it.
  • @Will - I actually wrote a tool that will do just this, see my blogpost here:
    http://zoteromusings.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/zotero-item-uris-from-client/

@Dan - do you want anything fancier than just the translator? I'm happy to add this to Zotero, of course, just let me know what you'd want it to be called.
  • Adam, this is a pretty little hack. I'm going to use it, but I still think there is a place for a context menu option to the link. I do use Quick Copy to add one-off references to documents, and your solution trades off some of that functionality.

This is a bit of an aside, but when I use your tool the URIs generated lead to pages where there is a header for "Notes and Attachments," but the note and attachments are not listed. Looks like a bug in the Zotero webserver, but I don't know of those URIs are intended for users.
  • edited May 23, 2014
    The link comes straight from the Zotero database's item.uri entry, so I'd consider that a bug on the webpage, yes.(Haven't tested this myself, so this is assuming that what you're seeing is a general issue).
  • @Dan - do you want anything fancier than just the translator? I'm happy to add this to Zotero, of course, just let me know what you'd want it to be called.
    No, I was talking about (and the ticket is for) a Locate/context-menu option, not a Quick Copy option.

If there is a clipboard option, I think that would be a context-menu option as well, but it's somewhat less necessary if there's an easy way to get to the webpage. It's also a little tricky with permissions, since you'd have to know whether the library was public. The best option for a link would really be private share links, but that's a whole other thing that I'm not sure it's worth getting into.
  • edited May 24, 2014
    The obvious model here is Dropbox, at least on OS X, where if you right-click on a file in Dropbox you see "Share Dropbox Link" (which copies a private share link to the clipboard) and "View on Dropbox.com" (and "View Previous Versions").

But the easiest thing for the moment is just to make this a Locate option.
  • (It's actually rather confusing that right now we say "View Online".)