Standalone cannot start on OSX

I installed Standalone v4.0.20 on an OSX v10.9.3 computer that has never had Zotero installed on it. Immediately after installing Zotero, I tried launching it via the Zotero icon in the Applications folder. The dock would resize a bit, as though it started to make room for the Zotero icon and then aborted. Zotero is dying so quickly that I never even see the process appear in top.

I am able to start Zotero via the command line "/Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/zotero-bin /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/application.ini". When I do this and then look at the Error Console, I see the following two messages:
Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/chrome.manifest'.
While creating services from category 'profile-after-change', could not create service for entry 'Disk Space Watcher Service', contract ID '@mozilla.org/toolkit/disk-space-watcher;1'

I also enabled real-time debug output, that I will be emailing to support@zotero.org momentarily with a link to this thread.

I have tried rebooting my computer and reinstalling Zotero Standalone, but that did not change the behavior.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide. Thanks! -Will
  • The dock would resize a bit, as though it started to make room for the Zotero icon and then aborted.
    Weird. I don't know that we've ever seen this. Simon might have an idea, but I'm not even really sure what to suggest trying. I assume if you're running any security software you've tried disabling it? Anything in /var/log/system.log?

When you start it via the command line, does it work normally? (From the debug output it looks like it does.)
  • I am not running any non-stock security software. The only thing in /var/log/system.log is:
    com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[187] (org.zotero.zotero.80640[889]): Exited with code: 127

When launched from the command line, it works fine. And normally I would be okay with that, but I'm rolling this out to a bunch of users who won't be happy with using the command line.
  • Any luck in a different user account (or the Guest account, even)?
  • The only other account I have setup on this machine is root. Behavior is the same from the root account. I can't try from the Guest account, as I have FileVault turned on.
  • Still having trouble with this?

How about if you do 'open /Applications/Zotero.app' from the command line?

I don't have much else to suggest, but for what it's worth, I'd be very surprised if you saw this on any other computers. Since we've never seen this before, it's quite likely that this is a problem specific to your system.