accent missing in Word export

I'm using Zotero 4.0.20 on Win8.1, and MS Word 2010 with the Zotero plug-in for the style of the Pontifical Biblical Institute. When I cite Fernández the accent remains, but when I cite Barthélemy the accent disappears within a split second. When I tell the Word plugin to update citations the accent reappears for a split second but then disappears.
  • Try to replace the é in Barthélemy in Zotero by hand. It could be some odd encoding that's not handled correctly.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried that, as well as copying and pasting the character after selecting it in Word's character map (i.e. insert symbol), all to no avail.
  • I don't really have much for you - Zotero's handling of accented characters is straightforward and not dependent on the word processor plugin. You could play around a bit - try in a new document, try generating the citation straight from Zotero, etc. - to see what's going on, but there's also a good chance that this is some Word auto-correct gone haywire or so.
  • You were right, adamsmith; it was an unusual auto-correct feature of MS Word. It correctly recognized the names Barthélemy, Brière and Mariès as French, and promptly proceeded to remove their accents. It was only when I marked them as English words that the accents reappeared.
  • I should add: this only occurred when the French word was in small capitals.