Suggestions for "bilingual" tags

I'm look for suggestions on how to use tags in a bilingual library.

I work in both English and Spanish, and will be sharing my library with both English speakers and Spanish speakers.

When I first started using Zotero, I used English for the tags. Then I started using Spanish if the item was in Spanish, and English if it was in English.

Then I sorta morphed into "whatever" and now I often enter TWO tags (one English and one Spanish).

It gets a little messy when I do an advanced search. I'm never sure which language to search for, and I end up searching for both. That's rather cumbersome.

Also, as I share my library with other folk (not all of whom are bilingual...some speak only English, others only Spanish), I want a user friendly tagging system.

I've just now thought about making one bilingual tag (riches riqueza). Using "tag contains" I can type either in either language and get what I want. I think I like this.

Does anybody else face this issue?

How do you handle it?

Thanks!
  • Your idea for making one bilingual tag sounds like a solid solution. Another nice thing about this is that you can use the tag selector to globally edit your tags. So if you change the "riches" tag and the "riqueza" tags to "riches riqueza" you will automatically merge the two.
  • Sweet.

I've just started experimenting with this. I think it's the way to go, but am open to other suggestions, too.