Zotero Developer Community

Hello,

I just find this post and wanted to share it, because I agree very much:

http://netapps.muohio.edu/blogs/darcusb/darcusb/archives/2007/01/27/zotero-and-the-bazaar-what-zotero-should-learn-from-successful-open-source-projects

I think Zotero is very cool and am using it all the time - my only Angst - which is increasing as time goes by - is that there seems to be no community integration. There is no bugzilla type app, the forum software could be better, and the dev-list to which I have subscribed is not at all trafficked.

What does this mean for the future of Zotero? If one thing can be said about successfull software, it's that it only thrives with a strong community.

Regards,
Peter
  • Peter,

Bruce contacted a few people interested in bibliographic software development before he posted that entry. I believe that the Zotero devs will talk with us & hopefully act on some specific suggestions we have, or at least say that they don't plan to after some consideration.

They do have a "bugzilla type app." They use Trac <http://dev.zotero.org/docs/svn_and_trac_access>.They currently have only semi-open access (you must request an account). One of the things we will ask for is that this be opened to at least allow for anonymous browsing. The Zotero devs have (understandably) been concerned that they don't have the resources to open it up more (as Mozilla has opened their tracker), as they don't have dedicated people to manage the open tickets for things they don't want to track (bug spam, dupes, invalid reports, etc.).

As a user and "evangelist," I'm happy enough with the forums. As a developer, these forums aren't sufficient to carry on technical discussion. The zotero-dev group is also less-than-ideal, as the Zotero devs don't, themselves, use it to discuss design, etc.

I am, for once, optimistic. Many potential outside developers and contributors have the same frustrations over the current "cathedral." However, such frustration is also a sign of excitement about this particular project & I'm sure that the community will ultimately benefit when the Zotero devs work to take advantage of that passion.
  • Hello noksagt,

thanks for your comments, it's good to hear that the community is optimistic! I am also a zotero "evangelist", having recommended it to a number people, and because I care a lot about this software, seeing the potential it has, I am hoping that the "bazaar" will open up soon :-)

Regards,
    Peter