Page insert in citations

Dear all,

A big problem here: When I attempt to insert a page number after a reference in the Zotero Quick Format Citation Window, it does not show up, and when hitting enter, nothing happens, ie. I can't insert the citation. I can, however, enter the citation without a direct page reference (but that doesn't really help).

Now, when I switch to the "classic view," there I can find my page, and I can insert the citation with a direct page reference as I want to. Tried with different styles, the problem stays the same.

It worked in the past, but after changing PCs and installing ZSA on the new machine, this issue arose. Any suggestions?

Specs: ZSA 4.0.20, Libre Office 4.2.21, Linux Mint 13 with all updates (Linux Kernel 3.2.0-61).
  • Can you give the name of a style that this fails on, the exact steps that you go through, and the result you expect vs the result that you see? With those details, people can try to reproduce the problem, or quickly identify the cause. Here is an example, from a recent similar report against the Classic View widget:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/34954/zotero-says-there-was-an-error-in-starting/#Item_43
  • Okay, thanks for the quick reply. I'll try to be as precise as possible. My situation: I want to quote from an article/book with a precise page number, say: Benedict Anderson, Imagined Communities 29 (ie. page 29 from the book). Here's what I do and what does not work (anymore):

1) In a LibreOffice document, I click the "Insert Citation" from the Zotero Bar

2) I choose the citation style (I've enountered this problem with MLA, Chicago and various other styles)

3) I choose the book/ article I want to reference in the "Quick Format Citation" window.

3) Now I want to add the exact page that the quotation is from. In the past, that meant I could just type in the page number, hit ENTER, and Zotero generated the citation. Now, when I hit enter, nothing happens, I can't do anything until I delete the page number. I've tried by inserting one blank space (hitting the SPACE bar), by not inserting a blank space, by entering a comma; nothing worked.

4) However, when I switch to the "Classic View" window, I can choose the book/ article, insert the page number in the field to the bottom right which says "page" and Zotero does as it should do. Moreover, when I've inserted the page number in the "Quick Format Citation"-window, got stuck and switched to "classic view," the page number is already in the field. It seems Zotero has registered the input, but doesn't want to comply in the "Quick Format"-window.

Did that description help? As I said, I use the latest Zotero Standalone version plus Libre Office 4.2.21.
  • There is a known issue and it's just a display issue:
    i.e. if you enter the page number in Quick Format it actually disappears in the quick format bar, but once you press enter it does show up in the citation.
    I understand you correctly that that's _not_ the problem you're having, right? You actually cannot insert the citation at all as long as there is a page number?

How about if you enter the page number in the details pop-up in the quick format bar (i.e. by clicking on the citation in the bar, or by pressing ctrl+down-arrow with the cursor after the citation. Does that work?
  • Just a quick update here:

After re-installing the LibreOffice-addin under Zotero, the situation has changed somewhat:

When I enter the page number now, it is deleted from the "Quick Format Citation"-window (I enter the number but it vanishes from the window), but when I hit ENTER (which I can now), the quotation is inserted as I want to, ie. with the page number. This is not ideal, but works at least. Nevertheless, if you have any idea how to solve this (now minor) inconvenience, please let me know.

Thanks a million!
  • See above - that's been a known issue with the LO add-on for ages and it affects all users, so there's nothing you can do to fix it (although it should be fixed in the add-on, of course).
  • Thanks Adam,

Seems our posts crossed their paths. I was just sending mine when yours appeared.
    As said, it now works after re-installation of the add-in. Thanks again for your help, and for a great piece of software! So long!