[SOLVED] Sync error on Ubuntu 14.04, Error for operation 'open', report ID 399391037

Hi,

I've been unable to get my Zotero library to sync for a few days--one particular file seems to be hanging it up and I'm just not sure how to fix it.

I get the following message: Error for operation 'open' for /home/lisa/.zotero/zotero/uva1q00e.default/zotero/storage/7ESP3FP4/The 'Little Napoleon' of Guatemala_ Jorge Ubico, as world dictators go, is a little known name that belongs to the iron man of Central America. He runs his country with a motorcyc.pdf

I've tried finding the file and changing permissions [changing all to read and write], but still get an error.

Ubuntu 14.04, Zotero 4.0.19

Any ideas? Would deleting this file help?

Thanks so much.
Lisa Munro
  • Yes, try deleting that attachment item in Zotero and emptying the trash. (Make a copy of the PDF first so you can re-add it.) I'd guess that the filename length is an issue, though Zotero is supposed to deal with that automatically. Are you using any sort of filesystem encryption?
  • Deleting the file should help, but that's certainly not a great solution (I assume you want the file). You can open that file outside of Zotero, right? Have you tried restarting your computer?
    Ubuntu 14.04, Zotero 4.0.19
    I don't think it will help, but you should update Zotero. Is this Zotero Standalone or Zotero for Firefox?
  • Hello and thanks to Dan and aurimas for the help!

No file encryption in use.

I did end up deleting the file and things are syncing again. It was a file I wanted, so I'll try re-adding and syncing again and see if it causes any further problems.

This was on Zotero Standalone. I updated Zotero to 4.0.20 in case that was the problem. I'll report if I have any problems after re-adding the file.

Thanks so much.
    Best,
    Lisa
  • Just re-added the PDF and renamed it after the parent item so that it would have the really long file name. All seems to be syncing now! Thanks so much!

Best,
    Lisa