Tips for speeding up duplicate merging?

13»
  • Actually, might be simpler than I thought:
    could you send download this:
    https://gist.githubusercontent.com/adam3smith/31cedf0d5ec1212bcd08/raw/fc8d83d7162a71b35177a1e193885128d9905115/zotero.rdf
    (right-click -save links as)
    and try importing it? If it does, at least we know what's going on. It's one broken entry that's caused by the weirdness in the abstract of the
    "A randomised controlled trial of psychosocial intervention with mothers of undernourished children using primary care services in Jamaica" thesis. That shouldn't happen and we'll fix this on export, but also, of course, this is garbage coming out of proquest.

How many RDF files can you _not_ import?
  • Yes! That worked.

There are three others right now that won't import (all dissertations from ProQuest Dissertations). I was trying to import everything in a set order so they would be prioritized for duplicate merging, so there might be more as I go.
  • would it be OK if you went through all of them and made a note for yourself which ones haven't imported and then send me all the ones that don't import by e-mail (my e-mail is at the bottom of this post: https://www.zotero.org/blog/summer-zotero-workshops/ ).

I'll be able to fix this quickly, it'd probably take you a long time.
  • @aurimas could you maybe look at fixing this on export? The problematic entry was/is:

TY - THES
    TI - A randomised controlled trial of psychosocial intervention with mothers of undernourished children using primary care services in Jamaica
    AN - 301653114
    AB - <![ CDATA [<b>Aims:</b> The main aim of the research was to integrate psychosocial stimulation into existing nutrition and health services for undernourished children in Jamaica and to determine the effect of the intervention on the children¿s growth and development and on the mother¿s child-rearing knowledge and practices and frequency of depressive symptoms. <b>Methods:</b> The study was a randomised controlled trial in which 18 government health centres in the parishes Kingston, St Andrew and St Catherine were randomly assigned to an intervention or control group. 139 undernourished children (WAZ <span style='font-family:Symbol'>£</span> -1.5z scores) aged 9 to 30 months were recruited into the study from the centres. At the beginning and end of the study all children had their development assessed on the Griffiths developmental scales and their weight and length measured. Also the mothers¿ child-rearing knowledge, practices and frequency of depressive symptoms were assessed with a questionnaire and scores calculated. <b>Intervention:</b> Government health aides, already working in the centres, conducted weekly home visits for 1 year. During the visits, mothers were shown appropriate play activities to do with their young child using home-made toys and books. Parenting issues were also discussed. Both groups received the standard nutrition and health care for undernourished children. <b>Results:</b> The development levels (DQ) of children in both groups declined during the study. However, the intervened children declined significantly less -7.91 points (95% confidence interval: 4.49, 11.33), than the controls. There was also a significant treatment effect on the hearing and speech subscale 10.66 (5.89, 15.44), the hand and eye subscale 6.82 (3.40, 10.24) and the performance subscale 11.10 (5.48, 16.72). There was no significant benefit of intervention on the motor subscale. Children in both groups improved modestly, though significantly in weight for age, height for age and weight for height, but there was no benefit of intervention. Compared with the control group, the mothers in the intervention group improved significantly more in child rearing knowledge (p < .001) and child rearing practices (p < .01) and reduced their depressive symptoms (p< .05). <b>Conclusions:</b> Integrating a program of parenting education and psychosocial stimulation into primary care services was both feasible and effective and improved undernourished children¿s development a substantial amount (0.94 of a standard deviation for DQ). Mother¿s parenting knowledge and practices and frequency of depressive symptoms also improved. ]]>
    JF - PQDT - UK & Ireland
    AU - Baker, H J
    Y1 - 2003
    PY - 2003
    DA - 2003
    CY - Ann Arbor
    PB - University of London, University College London (United Kingdom)
    KW - DXN079450
    KW - Social sciences
    KW - Public policy
    KW - 0630:Public policy
    UR - http://search.proquest.com/docview/301653114?accountid=14503
    L2 - http://libraries.colorado.edu:4550/resserv?genre=dissertations+&+theses&amp;issn=&amp;title=A+randomised+controlled+trial+of+psychosocial+intervention+with+mothers+of+undernourished+children+using+primary+care+services+in+Jamaica&amp;volume=&amp;issue=&amp;date=2003-01-01&amp;atitle=&amp;spage=&amp;aulast=Baker&amp;sid=ProQ:ProQuest+Dissertations+&+Theses:+UK+&+Ireland&amp;isbn=&amp;jtitle=&amp;btitle=&amp;id=doi:
    LA - English
    DB - ProQuest Dissertations & Theses: UK & Ireland
    N1 - Copyright - Copyright ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing 2003
    N1 - Last updated - 2013-10-04
    N1 - First page - n/a
    M3 - Ph.D.
    M1 - U183076
    ER -
  • (I've fixed the three files for which this happened for jenlnorvell
    - the issue was indeed the <![CDATA mark-up in the abstract in all cases).
  • the issue that caused the problematic export is now fixed (thanks to aurimas) for the next Zotero version. If you or anyone else will perform massive Zotero RDF exports before that version comes out, I'd recommend installing the beta version of Zotero
    https://www.zotero.org/support/dev_builds#zotero_40_beta
  • Thanks @adamsmith and @aurimas for fixing the export script and all your help!

@dan the library is now around 70K total items (32K parent items). and no longer moving at a snail's pace.
  • Sorry, can someone tell me how to install this new beta version? I've downloaded the xpi file but not sure what to do next.

Thanks!
  • Zotero beta only comes as a Firefox extension, not Zotero Standalone. If you're using Firefox, downloading the XPI file would ask you if you want to install it. If you're not using Firefox, then Zotero Beta will not work for you.

But, to reiterate, the fix that we applied only works during export. It will not fix files that have already been improperly exported by the previous version of Zotero.
  • If you're not using Firefox, then Zotero Beta will not work for you.
    (sorry, I should have mentioned that). If you have Firefox installed on your computer anyway, you can use both Standalone and the Zotero for Firefox version on the same data directory.
  • Ahhh, ok. Now I understand, thanks.