UI: Put [title]-[short title] and [publication]-[Journal Abbr] together.

I understand that there is merit in putting the most important info of a reference - title, author & publication - at the beginning of an item. In the same vein, wouldn't it make sense to put the abbreviated fields - short title & journal abbr - right after the respective long forms?

Since I rely on MLZ's own abbreviation engine, I don't need short title or journal abbr. Actually they are hindrances as far as I'm concerned, as I've mentioned in earlier threads. But because these fields are distanced from the main, long-form fields, I sometimes fail to detect them and remove them. Only after discovering mis-abbreviation in my manuscript and scratching my head, I have a brief a-ha moment and come back to Zotero to remove them. Although I'm not sure how many others find themselves going through the same routine, I think it will still be helpful for many users to have the long form-short form fields very close to each other.
  • No, I think that'd be a bad idea.

Short title is automatically generated and at least in regular Zotero, automatic journal abbreviations override the Journal Abbr. field, so I like them out of the way - I want to see the core citation info -
    Author, title, publisher, place, date, volume, issue - up top.

That's especially true because about half of all users don't care about the Journal Abbr. field at all (the styles they use don't use it) and probably more than half of all users don't care about the title-short field at all (same reason).

That said, the right-hand pane needs a redesign, but I don't think making the order of fields customizable has ever been discussed.
  • at least in regular Zotero, automatic journal abbreviations override the Journal Abbr. field
    They do in regular Zotero? The Journal Abbr. prevails in MLZ. mmm. I wish MLZ will adopt regular Zotero's approach in the long run.
    I don't think making the order of fields customizable has ever been discussed.
    Can we start discussing it now? :-)