[MLZ] where does language setting get stored?

I'm confused. I thought the language control that you set in the Word plugin (not the main Zotero preference) sticks with the style you're working on. But it looks like the language settings are stored with the individual document, not the style. Is this a correct observation?
  • @fbennett, can you chime in on this, please?
  • That's right. The default language settings that a document receives from MLZ can be changed through the word processor plugin, via the Languages tab in Document Preferences. Changes to the settings in the document do not affect the default settings in MLZ Preferences. Settings made through the word processor plugin travel with the document, and are not bound to a particular style.
  • Thanks for the confirmation. Any plan to make the language setting a trait of the styles? Each publication has its policy on foreign literature, so I think a natural place to store the language settings would be in a style, not the document.
  • No plans to change it, no. If it were made a property of the style, we would then need to cast separate styles for each class of variants, which would add to the maintenance burden.

Implementing language profiles should give the best of both worlds, though. It won't happen soon. But it's in the list of things that should happen.