Zotfile

Hi, I am trying to find a way to extract text from an annotated PDF in Zotero. I installed Zotfile and I have annotated my Pdf but I don't see where the annotation text is located. Can anyone help me? On Zotfile.com, it instructs me how to install but I cannot figure out how to work with Zotfile within Zotero to obtain the annotated text.
  • right-click on the PDF in Zotero --> Manage Attachments --> Extract annotations.
  • Thank you, one problem solved. Now that I know how to extract highlights from my pdf I am having a new issue. I get the warning:

"Zotfile Warning: Skipped attachments

Attachments skipped because they are top-level items, snapshots of the file does not exist. "
  • that message means what it says - you can only extract notes of PDFs attached to Zotero items.
  • I have the same message- how do i get pdf's attched to zotero items? i just dragged and dropped pdfs into zotero... and am now using zotfile to try and extract annotations.
  • right thanks! when i extract annotations is the information about the pdf (citation info i mean) also extracted automatically? whenever i try to make a bibliography this information is empty...
  • no, those are entirely separate things. See the link I posted above for getting the citation info.
  • For those that, like me, have been scratching their heads why they were getting the message "Attachments skipped because they are top-level items, snapshots, or the file does not exist" even for pdfs that were clearly not top level items and clearly existing pdf files: You get the same message when you have previously clicked on "Send to tablet" and then try to "Rename attachments". It sort-of makes sense, as the link between the files on the tablet and your local computer could get broken if you rename locally before fetching from tablet. To fix this, first click on "Get from Tablet", then you can rename and "Send to tablet" again. To avoid this confusion, the error message could be improved and I guess it would be good to give the user the choice to break the link to the file on the tablet, in case it is not needed any more or the tablet is not available.
  • Thanks a lot, schymans! I was wondering the same. I was trying to migrate my storage from Zotero's to an external folder I sync separately by using the batch rename function, and files I had previously sent to the tablet were being skipped.