problems under debian wheezy

The zotero plugin no longer works error free under debian wheezy. I first encountered the errors with iceweasel. But installing firefox results in the same problems:

1. Starting firefox I get (in the error console) the error message:

TypeError: Zotero.Notifier is undefined tagsbox.xml:121

2. Clicking the zotero button or using crtl-shift-z only produces an error message in the jsconsole:

NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIHandlerInfo.launchWithURI] zotero.js:2005

3. commenting out the offending lines in zotero.js I get instead:

TypeError: Zotero.activateStandalone is not a function overlay.js:225

4. Right clicking on a link I don't get “Zotero” > “Save Link as Zotero Item”
  • What versions of Zotero and Firefox?

Is this with the official version from zotero.org or a packaged version? If the latter you'll have to contact the creators of the package.
  • Firefox 28.0 and zotero 4.0.19 from zotero.org
  • (Or I guess you have, but we need actual filenames and line numbers.)
  • I added the filenames and line numbers. For Problem 4. there is no error message.
  • Can you provide real-time debug output for the startup? (If it's big, post it to a Gist or email to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.)
  • But you should first try disabling all other Firefox extensions and any security software you're running (AppArmor, SELinux, etc.), which might interfering with Firefox.
  • And are you actually running Zotero Standalone? The error message suggests you are. Have you tried simply restarting your computer?
  • To the last question: Yes, I'm using Zotero Standalone. And I have tried to restart the computer. (That doesn't change anything.)
  • The debug file:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/9982348
  • Oh, OK — be sure to say when you're using Standalone. Otherwise, and particularly if you mention Firefox, everyone is going to assume you mean Zotero for Firefox on its own.

If you close Standalone, does Zotero for Firefox work on its own?
  • Yes, it does.
  • OK, Simon might have some ideas here. In the meantime, use Zotero for Firefox instead.