Slow zotero

Hi there,

I am a serious fan of Zotero and have been using it for years. Recently though, it's become tediously slow. Everything is slow and firefox will freeze for seconds and minutes after I simply select a field in an entry. I have only 2500 entries, 5500 items all together. I do store a lot of pdf attachments. I have tried turning off indexing and the tag selector as I have seen suggested to others who have posted about slow response. This does not seem to help.

If I haven't touched it in a while it runs fine, but after simply looking at a few entries, it runs slow again.

I created a debug log here D1851392825
All I was doing during this lag was clicking on the abstract field.

Any help would be appreciated as this is becoming infuriating!

Thanks
  • That shows the tag selector being open. Can you provide a Debug ID for a lag with the tag selector closed?
  • Thanks for the quick response! I toggled close the tag selector, though I thought this was the case before, is there a more permanent way of doing this that you mean? Disenabling it altogether rather than just hiding it? I have also deselected automatic tagging in the general preferences.

D100364111
    In this one I was deleting a couple of entries from a collection.
  • Your tag selector is still open, and it's mainly what's slowing down your Zotero. How are you toggling it? Instead of dragging the separator, if that's what you're doing (and that should work), try either clicking once on the separator above it or using the shortcut key specified in the Shortcuts pane of the Zotero preferences (Ctrl-Shift-T by default on Windows).
  • I had toggled it by clicking once on the separator. This time I used the keyboard shortcut. Can't say I've noticed a difference with small lagging still occurring in the short time I've been using it since then. Does it still appear to be open on the debug? D186006284
  • It's still open. Not sure what's going on, but you can try deleting the localstore.rdf file in your Firefox profile directory and restarting Firefox. That will clear your Firefox window settings.
  • That seems to have fixed the problem! Zotero is working as fast as ever, so I presume that means the tag selector has closed properly now.

Thanks so much for your help Dan, you have sped up my thesis by an unquantifiable number of hours!

Kai
  • OK, great. We'll try to speed up the tag selector in future versions.
  • (And also provide a way to delete existing automatic tags, which I'd guess are what are slowing things down for you.)