Importing Zotero database

Hello Everyone,

Just joined the zotero club. I am trying to import a zotero database and I keep getting two errors:

1. Exception..."Access to restricted URI denied" code: "1012" (and so on..) I have submitted it and my Report ID is : 199716434

2. During import I also another error: the file:
"/C:/Users/***.OPS/AppData/Roaming/Zotero/Zotero/Profiles/og4k85aq.default/zotero/storage/section7contents.htm cannot be found. Please check the location and try again"

I have tried looking online for issue # 1, it appears to have been reported earlier, but could not find the solution.

Appreciate your help

Arvind
  • You're using Zotero 3.0.14, which is incredibly old. Upgrade to the latest version of Zotero (currently 4.0.19) or we're not going to be able to help you.
  • Thank you for the quick response. Will upgrade and get back.
  • Upgraded to the latest version but the problem still persists, but the error has changed to "An error occurred while tring to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again."
    and error # 2 persists

Thanks
    Arvind
  • Provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for an import attempt with the new version.
  • Debug ID : D450495479
  • edited April 4, 2014
    (3)(+0000001): Translate: Got file:///C:/Users/[...]/Documents/Zotero/My%20Library/files/493/[...].pdf as URI

(3)(+0000000): Importing snapshot from file

[...]

(2)(+0000001): Translate: Translation using RDF failed:
    toString => function toString() {
    [native code]
    }
    message => Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.copyTo]
    result => 2152857618
    name => NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
    filename => chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/attachments.js
    lineNumber => 169
    columnNumber => 0
    string => [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.copyTo]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/attachments.js :: importSnapshotFromFile :: line 169" data: no]
    url => C:\Users\[...]\Documents\Zotero\My Library\My Library.rdf
    downloadAssociatedFiles => true
    automaticSnapshots => true
    We should fix this to not cause an error, but if you look in the '493' directory referenced at the top there, is there a PDF there? Can you open it?
  • Yes. There is a pdf and I am able to open it.
  • Would you mind sharing the exact filename (copied and pasted, preferably), either here or in an email to support@zotero.org? (If the latter, include a link to this thread.)
  • Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, US DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES_2003_TOXICOLOGICAL PROFILE FOR PYRETHRINS AND PYRETHROIDS
  • OK, that's what it's trying to open (with .pdf at the end, which I assume is just hidden for you).

That's a long filename, which can cause file-not-found errors on Windows, but I don't believe it's long enough that it should be causing problems.

As a workaround, you can try simply moving that file to your desktop temporarily and retrying the import. If that's the only file that causes a problem, the rest of the import might go through.
  • Moved that folder to the desktop and tried importing again. This time first I got a zotero window that said:

The file /C:/Users/Arvind.Mohanram.OPS/AppData/Roaming/Zotero/Zotero/Profiles/og4k85aq.default/zotero/storage/section7contents.htm cannot be found. Please check the location and try again

then I get another popup message which says:

Restriction.. Acess to URI denied.."

finally when I say ok I get

"An error occurred while trying to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again."

Report ID:2130604421
  • Can you provide another Debug ID for the import?
  • Here is the Debug ID: D747363054.
  • edited April 4, 2014
    OK, that's the same thing, but this time with this file:
    C:/Users/[...]/Documents/Zotero/My Library/files/524/Green_building.html
    I assume that exists too?

Are you running any sort of security software? If so, try temporarily disabling it.

Also, I'm not sure why it should matter, but where did this RDF file come from? Was this exported from a very old version of Zotero?
  • edited April 4, 2014
    Also, just in case this is all unnecessary, where did this RDF file come from? If this is a full library export, it'd be much better to simply restore the backup of the original Zotero data directory, if you have it. These errors shouldn't occur, and we'll help you debug them, but RDF isn't intended for full-library backup.
  • 1. Yes. The Greenbuilding.htm file exists
    2. Regarding security software, I am not sure-im using this at my office that has Norton.
    3. Yes. I am trying to copy this library from my collegue who is using Zotero Version 4.0.16. He zipped his entire library (with attachment)and the RDF. I unzip the RDF and file attachment into a folder and import the RDF into Zotero.
    Interestingly, if I copy the RDF file into separate location (that does not have attachment), I am not having any issues.
  • if that's still an option, have a look at
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library
    - RDF isn't the best way to transfer a library.
  • Yes I realized that,thank you for the information