Can't access session information

Hello,
I'm running Zotero for Firefox on Ubuntu 12.04. Everything had worked fine until today, when suddenly I got this error message:

"Zotero can't access session information.

This could also be due to a corrupted Firefox login manager database. To check, close Firefox, remove signons.sqlite from your Firefox profile directory, and re-enter your Zotero login "information in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences."

I did what it says but it still won't work. Any ideas? Thanks very much.
  • Can you provide a Report ID?

This is generally due to use of a master password that you're not entering correctly, corruption of that file, incorrect file permissions in your Firefox profile directory, or security software on your system interfering. In any case, you should be having the same problem with logins from websites, since Zotero just uses the main Firefox login database.

(Also, please don't translate error messages. In this case it's clear which message you're referring to, but it's always better to include error messages verbatim, even if you're using a non-English version.)
  • Thanks for the reply!
    Here is the error report: [JavaScript Error: "mal formado" {file: "jar:file:///home/tashi/.mozilla/firefox/g8sru0g1.default/extensions/firefox@ghostery.com.xpi!/resources/ghostery/data/locales/en/messages.json" line: 1 column: 1 source: "{"}]

It would seem ghostery is interfering, although I've always used both together without problems until now. Perhaps disabling it will help?
  • After disabling ghostery I got the same error message with the following report id:

JavaScript Error: "this._storage is null" {file: "resource://gre/components/nsLoginManager.js" line: 383}]

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: this.initBrowser is not a function" {file: "chrome://priv/content/priv.js" line: 558}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Initialization failed' when calling method: [nsILoginManagerStorage::init]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/components/nsLoginManager.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 98" data: no]" {file: "resource://gre/components/nsLoginManager.js" line: 98}]
  • edited April 1, 2014
    Messages appearing in error reports don't necessarily have anything to do with Zotero, so there's no reason to think this is related to Ghostery. You should disable all your other Firefox extensions as a test, but this is likely a problem with the Firefox signons.sqlite database (and those other login manager messages are from Firefox itself). You're saying you deleted the signons.sqlite file and restarted Firefox, as the original message suggested?

Have you tried disabling security software?
  • I did delete signons.sqlite and restart firefox to no avail. I'm on ubuntu and disabled apparmor for firefox but that didn't work either. As far as I know there is no apparmor profile for zotero blocking anything, but I may try to disable apparmor entirely for a moment to see if ti helps. Zotero standalone is working fine, as is the firefox extension, only I can't sync.
  • I did delete signons.sqlite and restart firefox to no avail.
    Make sure you close Firefox _before_ deleting the signons.sqlite file.
  • I did close firefox before deleting but it didn't work. I finally set firefox back to default settings and now everything is working fine.