Zotero as a Tab

2»
  • edited January 27, 2011
    Zotero as a tab in beta 5 works mostly great!! Thanks!

Here are some problems:
    - The tab should have a zotero logo
    - I can't jump to items by clicking letters on the keyboard (usually I can press 'k' to jump to the authors who start with a k when the library is sorted by author). Instead, Firefox tries to do a quick-search.
    - plugins do not show up. I have installed LyX and zotfile. Neither of them shows up in the tab. That would actually be super helpful!

Greg
  • Re: Plugins-- Please report issues with plugins to the respective plugin developers. I think they'll have to make some changes for them to show up in the tab, but it shouldn't be hard.
  • The latest trunk build includes Zotero as a tab as an option in the Zotero preferences. In Firefox 4, Zotero is automatically loaded as an app tab. These changes may or may not make it into Zotero 2.1, depending on general opinions regarding their stability.

Plug-ins will need to be changed so that they overlay chrome://zotero/content/zoteroPane.xul instead of overlay.xul or browser.xul.
  • Can you specify, Simon? I tried to do it myself until there are updates for the plugins...
    What I tried is this: I added the line below (only the second one) to the 'chrome.manifest' file but it didn't work...

Greg

overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://lyz/content/overlay.xul
    overlay chrome://zotero/content/zoteroPane.xul chrome://lyz/content/overlay.xul
  • That should work, but 1) it requires that the overlay references only Zotero-related elements and 2) it will only work with the Zotero trunk, or potentially the next Zotero 2.1 release. With 2.1b5, you could try adding:

overlay chrome://zotero/content/overlay.xul chrome://lyz/content/overlay.xul

and deleting the other overlay line, but this may require more substantial modifications to LyZ's overlay.xul to work properly.
  • Thanks, that worked. The problem now is that the plugin does not work with the currently selected item in the zotero tab BUT uses the item selected in the 'normal' zotero. Does that make sense? When I want to cite a certain item, it does not inserts the one I have selected in the tab but the one that is selected in the normal zotero window (even when that one is not visible). The plugin uses this line to get the currently selected items:

var items = ZoteroPane.getSelectedItems();

Any ideas how to solve that? By the way, I think that zotfile has the some problem...

Greg

ps: I will report this stuff to the developers once all the problems are solved hoping that the solution will be part of their next update so that everyone benefits from that.
  • We will make this work properly in the next release. Right now, it's a limitation of the way we work with the tab.
  • edited February 4, 2011
    I can't seem to be able to open a link from the Zotero tab when I click on the URL entry of an item. I obviously don't want to open a link on the same tab as Zotero tab so as to close Zotero tab, but it would be nice if I can open a link in a new tab.

I did try to click on the URL while pressing on CTRL but that didn't work either.
  • clicking on the URL in the info tab? That has never done anything.
    Ctrl+click on the letter "URL" next the the actual address - does that work?
  • Right, that's what I meant. I did that and nothing happens.

Sorry for the lack of clarity with my description :(
  • This works on the trunk. (Support in 2.1b5 was preliminary.)
  • Wow, 2.1 Beta 6 is absolutely brilliant. I'm loving the way Zotero Tab is now set up. Kudos to all Zotero developers for this outstanding work!
  • Would it be possible to create a shortcut for "Create New Item from Current Page"?

I know people have asked for this before, but this seems especially necessary in the tab mode. Currently I have to click on shift/command/z to get to the Z tab, then command/shift/f to exit the tab mode, then click on the "Create New Item from Current Page" button. It would be nice if this could be done in one shortcut.
  • It would also be great to have a preference to open Z in a tab automatically when you restart Firefox--or does this already exist somewhere?

The tab mode works great by the way--many thanks.