Style request: Perspectives on Politics

Hi there,

It seems POP changed its style from an in text citation thing - the one that is currently up on Zotero - to a form of basic notes with a separate bibliography.

*common sense mode on* sigh, why do journals do that? Can't they just stick to one darn style! *common sense off*

In text note: Posen 2003, 16, 21.

Bibliography entries:

Journal article

Posen, Barry. 2003. “Command of the Commons.” International Security 28(1): 5–46.

Book

Motyl, Alexander J. 1999. Revolutions, Nations, Empires:
Conceptual Limits and Theoretical Possibilities. New
York: Columbia University Press.

Chapter

Moon, Katharine. 2003. “Korea Nationalism, Anti-Americanism, and Democratic Consolidation.” In Korea’s Democratization, ed. Samuel L. Kim. New York: Cambridge University Press.

Web page

Schwartz, Stephen, and William Kristol. 2005. “Our Uzbek Problem.” Weekly Standard (May 30, 2005). (http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/635iihrr.asp), accessed June 6, 2007.

Newspaper

“US Stresses Manila Democracy,” New York Times,
November 13, 1985, A4.

I am not literate in CSL code, but am willing to help testing.

Cheers.
  • *sigh* indeed. If only there was an APSA style manual they could use. oh wait.

Take a look at "International Organization" and "World Politics" - both use the same concept for a style. I think they should be pretty close?
  • Good point. It looks pretty similar to WP. I'll get back with more details later.

If I ever get to edit a journal, first thing I'll do is: obscure journal citation style out, one of the big styles in. ;)
  • The style is now up. It will appear on the style repository within 30mins.. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

Any problems please let us know.
    (In PoPs defense, this is still very close to CMoS and thus APSA style. Mainly they've moved reference to endnotes - which makes sense given that they want this to be more like good "non-fiction" and less like regular academic stuff)
  • THanks a bunch! Sorry, I didn't get the time to provide further details. I'll get back to you should I come across any issues.
  • The style works well except for two minor issues.

URLs do not have brackets such as in:

Allnutt, Luke. 2011. “Russia’s Thirty Ruble Army Emerges Again.” RFE/RL, 23 March. http://www.rferl.org/content/russia_30_ruble_army_emerges_again/24477703.html, accessed April 3, 2013.

Conference papers are supposed to be cited in this form:

Patel, David. 2012. “Preference Falsification, Diffusion, and the Centrality of Squares in the Arab Revolutions.” Prepared for the American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA,
    August 30-September 2.

Cheers!
  • Chris - where are you getting those citations from? I looked at a couple of recent issues and they're all over the place wrt webpages and conference papers. Are you sure the exact format for those matter?
  • That was from the paper Koesel/Bunce 2013 Diffusion Proofing. I assumed, but didn't check, that they had a standard that all papers adhere to. ... Well, doesn't matter for me anymore, as I have been desk-rejected; in an encouraging manner though. Hehe.
  • thanks. I'll leave this as is for the time being then. Good luck with wherever you're taking your paper. My first desk rejection is now published in ISQ, so really not a bad sign.
  • edited June 23, 2014
    Okay.

Not bad, congrats. The problem seemed to have been on the level of scope and fit, not substance. So, it could be worse.