Restoring database from computer to server leads to conflict resolution

I want to restore the database on the server, starting with the database on my computer. I've followed all instructions here:
https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sync_reset_options#restore_tofrom_server

I've closed Zotero, opened Zotero preferences through Firefox's extension menu, unclicked automatic syncing, and clicked "Restore to Zotero server."

After a while, a Zotero pop-up window opens with "Résolution des conflits," asking me to choose what version of the entry I want to keep.

I have entry data on my local computer, data on the server is deleted, and then there is the merged data.

There are 3000+ entries in my database, and I've tried once to click "accept" for each of the entry in "Résolution des conflits," but still there is no data on Zotero server.

What am I doing wrong?
  • The reset options generally shouldn't be used, and they're likely to cause conflicts like this when you're in groups.

But if you're seeing a huge number of conflicts, something is likely wrong, so provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt through the first conflict — then submit the debug output and cancel the conflict resolution.
  • Debug ID is D415529455
  • There's no output in there. Reread the instructions.
  • D669358461.
    Should be ok...
  • Are all the conflicts you're seeing about deleted versions on the server? Are you trying to accept the deletions or keep the local versions?
  • Keep the local versions, since in the conflict resolution window, there is no server version.
  • But that just means that someone deleted them in the group and you weren't in sync when you did the reset. So you'd be undoing the changes in the group.
  • But if you were doing the reset to restore the deleted items in the group, then you're just going to have to go through the conflicts. The reset options have no effect on group library data. All they do for groups is wipe out sync history, meaning that if you use them without your groups being fully in sync, you're going to get conflicts, because Zotero has no way of knowing which side is correct.

If you get an error at the end of the conflicts, then that would be the actual issue to resolve, and it would depend on what it said. See Repeated Conflicts for an explanation.

If you want to leave the groups alone and want to restore data in your personal library, you have two other alternatives:

1) Leave the group that's causing the conflicts, sync, and then rejoin it.

2) Export your local library to Zotero RDF, including files, move your old Zotero data directory out of the way, restart Zotero, and then sync in the new empty library to pull down your group data. Then import the exported RDF back into your personal library and sync that.

I'd recommend #1 if possible. Exporting and importing has undesirable consequences (can cause problems if you were using the word processor plugins, will reset Date Added/Modified for all items, might not transfer 100% of all fields).
  • Should I simply make sure I have a back up folder of my groups in my local database, then delete all my groups (I'm owner-admin in all groups), then sync my local database, and finally recreate the groups?
  • I've left the groups, and have tried a sync. I get the following bug ID: 250577915.
  • Here is how I've finally solved the issue.

I've quit all groups. I deactivated automatic sync.

I created a new Zotero account on the Web.

I closed Zotero.

I check the integrity of the database and it contained errors. So I did as specified on the Zotero Database Repair Tool page:
    https://www.zotero.org/utils/dbfix/

Then, I reimported the sqlite file in the proper folder.

In the sync preferences menu, I entered the login information for my new account.

Then I opened the library. Then I clicked the sync button. I accepted Zotero's message that I now wanted to sync my library with a new (empty) account. I clicked "sync."

Now, the library is syncing with my new account, without errors.

The groups were maintainted on the other accounts, but not in the new account. For that, I would need to invite my new account to join the groups from my other accounts.
  • The new account wasn't necessary here — leaving the groups in your old account was sufficient — but glad to hear it's resolved.