"Connecting to the update server"

The system hangs when I check for updates. The "Connecting to the update server" message shows, and nothing happens after that.
  • Are you connected through a proxy server?
  • No; a regular wireless Comcast connection.
  • You should nevertheless check your system proxy settings to make sure nothing is enabled. Also provide a Report ID, if you can — and if not, you can paste the output of the error report here.
  • I'm having the same problem as mh. Dan, what do you mean by "check your system proxy setting to make sure nothing is enabled"?
  • on Windows, the "system proxy settings" are (for all practical purposes) the proxy settings set in Internet Explorer under Internet Connections.
    See here for more technical details: http://superuser.com/a/29828/361865

On Mac it's under System Preferences --> Network --> Advanced --> Proxies.
  • Thanks adamsmith.

I'm using a mac. I'm still not sure what I'm looking for here; is it this? In the box titled "bypass proxy settings for these hosts & domains," it says: "*.local, 169.254/16"
  • No, that doesn't affect updates. Are any other proxy options enabled in that dialog? What do you see if you check the site certificate info for zotero.org in your browser?
  • I'm facing the same problem as mh and lucia.lykke, using a Mac as well, no proxies enabled. The update concerns the locally installed Zotero, so I am not sure which site certificate info I could check. Can anyone help?
  • Follow the link for the site certificate info: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/site_certificate_info

The site is zotero.org -- the steps let's you check whether you're seeing the correct certificate for Zotero. Malware, some security software, (as well as some proxy servers) can change the certificate and thus break the connection.
  • Thank you, adamsmith. Finally, I understood what to do.

The certificate shows "Verified by: Let's Encrypt" which should be right, according to the information Zotero provides when following your link.
  • Yes. It's pretty some lines. Should I copy and paste everything here or is it the first or last error report line which is relevant?
  • The Report ID is just a number.
  • Thank you, got it now.
    My Report-ID: 696698738
    You're running an ancient version of Zotero (from 2018), so it looks like this has been broken for you for years. Just install a new version from the download page.
  • Thank you. I know, it is broken since two years, but now it became a problem. My problem was that I cannot update.

One last question stupid question: do I need to delete the installed version of Zotero from my computer before I install the new one?
  • No, you can just install the new version.
  • Did it and it's working now.
    Thank you for your support.