What does it means when the citations are no longer gray (color)?

Citations that were previously grey (therefore easy to find on a page) have all changed to no longer being grayed.

What does this mean?
How can I get the citations to be gray again so I spend less time looking for them on the page.

Standalone, Harvard system modified
  • It means one of three things:
    1. You've switched them to Bookmarks. Bookmarks aren't highlighted and afaik there is no way to do that. You can toggle between Bookmarks and Field (Reference Marks) and Set Document Preferences in the plugin.

2. You've turned field shadings off - where exactly to toggle that depends on your word processor, look for something like "highlight fields" (or in LibreOffice "highlight reference marks")

3. The citation is no longer connected to Zotero. That's the least likely option. You can tests this by putting your cursor into the collection and clicking edit citation. If the citation dialog (rather than an error message) comes up, this is not the case.
  • 1. Document still set to "Fields" in Set Document Preferences. No changes made.

2. The note on "highlight fields" in Word (for Mac) speaks of their curly brackets {}. Not what I'm looking for.

Not #3.

tog·gle [tog-uhl] Show IPA
    noun
    do you mean I switched? I did not consciously switch to anything.

I was trying to find out what "Bookmarks" were and I just got OSS Status Error 10000. Is this related? I really hope it is as I'm stuck on what to do next.
  • verb: toggle;
    Computing
    switch from one effect, feature, or state to another by using a toggle

Did you try changing the settings on highlight fields? That's almost certainly it then.
  • You sure know your stuff!

In case anyone asks you who is having this same issue who is using Word for Mac....

"Change the shaded background of fields

By default, Word displays the field results seamlessly with the content of your document so that someone who reads the document cannot see the field contents. However, you can specify whether to display the fields with a shaded background to make them more visible.
    On the Word menu, click Preferences.
    Under Authoring and Proofing Tools, click View .
    Under Show, on the Field shading pop-up menu, select the option that you want."

I chose "Field Shading - Always" for some reason it was on "Never"

Thank you it worked a treat as the familiar gray is back.
  • A question...

If I were to take my paper on a USB stick and use it on somebody else's computer, say in a developing country, how would this affect my citations and bibliography? This person will not have Zotero.

If I made changes that did not involve editing citations or the bibliography etc. would there be a problem?

I imagine I will be able to delete citations.

How would this work when I uploaded the chapters onto my computer (with Zotero) when I get back? I know that my references are in the cloud, but don't know how to access them.

Is it NOT recommended to do this?
  • As long as you save the document in the same format (e.g. doc or docx), the citations should remain. Though, obviously, we recommend having a backup of the document.