Select citations in Standalone Zotero and insert them at once into Word

Hello,
it would be helpful for inserting citations if I could find them in the standalone program first ... select even multiple of them ... and then hit a button to insert those citations as a field in the Word.
Thanks!
Marek
  • You are probably looking for the classic citation dialog. https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#quick_format_citation_dialog (see "switching to classic citation dialog" section)
  • people have in the past requested a feature to "shoot" reference right from Zotero into the word processor. It's a bit tricky (e.g. - in which window of which word processor?) and last time this came up Dan didn't much like the idea.
  • I imagine the reason for the request is that Endnote works in this way. The Endnote function sends the citations to the document that is most recently active that has an Endnote bibliography started. I agree with Dan that this method is very problematic, and I ran into lots of issues with it when I used Endnote.

However, when I was only working with one Word document, the Endnote method was very convenient because I could search in the reference database to find the item I wanted to cite, then immediately insert it. With Zotero, the process is (1) find the item in the main Zotero window, (2) copy the title, (3) return to Word and open the insert citation dialog, (4) paste the title and wait for the item to be found, (5) hit Enter.

As an alternative to the problematic Zotero->Word insert method, would it be possible to add a function that inserts the currently selected item in Zotero as a reference? This would cut out steps 3-5 above, as I could find the item in Zotero, then return to Word and hit one button to insert the reference. Can the Word plugin communicate with Zotero in this way to call the currently selected item?
  • what's wrong with the classic layout? Which options are available in Zotero that aren't in the classic view? Filtering by tags and advanced search are the only ones I can think of. Are they really that important? If so, shouldn't add-on be improved?

The problem with you suggested solution is that it doesn't solve the issue. Where the plugin inserts a citation depends on the document from which it was triggered.

I think the way to go for this may be having more universal citation markers - i.e. something along the lines of what ODF-scan has, but shorter and, of course, also working in Word. One could consider adding a "live scan" to the plugin, but a) that's technically patented by Endnote (I kid you not) and b) it'd be a fair amount of work to do well, so it would really need to be worth it.
  • The "classic" window for inserting citations is almost ... almost OK. What I do not like about that is that to search and insert multiple citations I have to click on "Multiple sources" and then I can't even use CTRL to select for multiple citations .. I have to click on one then arrow to put it on the list and then again click .. click etc.... It's just a lot of clicking. If at least I could use PMID as a code for search for citation in the small citation insertion window. This small window is actually very convenient for quick typing ... but I can't use PMID to search (and other full text searches). Maybe it would actually help a lot to just make the small window for citation insertion with same the functionality as search in standalone Zotero.
    Thanks!!!
  • edited March 17, 2014
    Making the search in the quick format window customizable to include "All fields and tags" sounds both very useful and very doable, yes.
  • "The problem with you suggested solution is that it doesn't solve the issue. Where the plugin inserts a citation depends on the document from which it was triggered."

I guess I wasn't exactly clear about what I was proposing. I am suggesting a new function for the plugin itself that would insert a citation that is automatically populated with the item that is currently selected in Zotero. I am not recommending that there be a button to "shoot" references from Zotero to Word. The difference between current functionality and what I am proposing is that, rather than having to search in the quick format window (or classic dialog) for an item, the citation would be pre-filled with the selected item.

I find the classic layout very hard to use. Beyond the difficulty of doing multiple source citations baslermarek mentions, it doesn't really display enough information about items to allow me to adequately determine which source I want to reference. When I search my library for a reference, I am not typically just looking for an item by title or the first author (or any other few fields that could be displayed easily in the classic dialog). I want to be able to use tags, look at the full item information in the right pane (all of the authors, abstracts, notes, related items, etc.). Frequently, I even need to open the pdf to be sure I have the right article. Really, I often do need the full Zotero window to find a source.

It would be unreasonable and cumbersome to add full Zotero functionality to the classic dialog. But again, that's not necessary or what I am proposing. I want an option (new function, setting, or whatever) to insert a citation in Word that automatically grabs the selected item from Zotero proper.

On another note, "All fields and tags" searching in the quick format window would also be welcome.
  • FWIW, the quicklook add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zoteroquicklook/ allows you to open PDFs from the word processor plugin.
    When I search my library for a reference, I am not typically just looking for an item by title or the first author (or any other few fields that could be displayed easily in the classic dialog). I want to be able to use tags, look at the full item information in the right pane (all of the authors, abstracts, notes, related items, etc.). Frequently, I even need to open the pdf to be sure I have the right article.
    I guess my view has always been if you spend that much time looking for an item in Zotero, the extra 3secs of opening the quick format bar and typing in author and year really don't matter anymore. The speed of the add-on mostly matters, in my opinion, when you're writing quickly and know what you want already, so I do understand the issue with multiple citations.
  • After spending that much time, the last thing I want to do is have to sit and wait for the item I already have found once to load in the search window. Those 3-6 seconds are pretty painful when I want to move on.

And it isn't really that much time to do the tags, third author, notes searching I'm talking about--10-15 seconds.
  • I'm not entirely opposed to this idea — while it's still a bit awkward, it's certainly less problematic than the inverse, and it also seems better than keeping the classic dialog around. Whether it'd still be necessary if we integrated some of the classic functionality into the quick format bar, or if it's a suitable replacement for that, I'm not sure. But particularly for people comfortable with Cmd/Alt-Tab, it seems like it'd work pretty well.
  • Alt-Tab is exactly why I would find this feature useful. Years and years of conditioning to jump between word processor and reference manager just will not go away.
  • Hello,

Was this or a similar feature implemented in the end? I am echoing basiermarek when he writes

"I do not like about that is that to search and insert multiple citations I have to click on "Multiple sources" and then I can't even use CTRL to select for multiple citations .. I have to click on one then arrow to put it on the list and then again click .. click etc.... It's just a lot of clicking."

Would be great to be able to use Ctrl to select multiple sources for citation. Without it, referencing slows down the process hugely.

Best,
  • no, this never happened. Still think it might be a good idea -- at a minimum we need a faster way to insert multiple references.
  • I completely agree. Currently, I am hesitating of citing multiple authors in my research because of the extra work its takes. It adds up when you cite multiple authors throughout the whole manuscript.

Just to calibrate my expectations, would you have any idea of when one could expect this to be implemented--if at all?

Many thanks for your guidance.
  • I wouldn't expect changes on this super soon.
  • Is this function coming or not? Any updates? It would be great if it does :)
  • (my last post on this was 6 weeks ago; just like for car trips, "are we there yet" doesn't make things happen faster)
  • @adamsmith Let us call the requested EndNote like "Insert selected citation(s) Alt+2", 'Direct citing'. It's almost mid 2021 and no such a feature added to Zotero roadmap. I believe someone should start writing an add-on for this manner. I'll take my shot but no guarantee! May somebody else needs to give it a try too.
  • I believe an additional "Open Zotero" button should be added to Zotero Word Add-on. One (@dstillman) might suggest it is useless but believe me it is not. Sure you can jump between Zotero and your word processor using ALT+TAB but imagine having three or more Word pages open plus Zotero and a couple of PDF files and at last your browser. The way everyone does research. Now it's painful to use ALT+TAB therefore I believe an additional button should be added. Regarding to the fact that any other reference manager (Mendeley, EndNote, Citavi) and also other programs like MathType did it so I don't believe it would be that hard. Meanwhile, I can play with Zotero.dotm file to seek progress.

Afterward, a button in Zotero Standalone is needed to cite the selected reference to the Word Processor where the cursor is. For one open Word processor it is easy to jump back. However to prevent any mistake while having multiple Word documents open, a dialog box would open to select which document is suitable to add the selected references. This part is a bit more complex. But I believe we can achieve it either by an add-on or directly adding the code to the main Zotero program. I don't know if can wrap my head around this part but I definitely can give it a shot.
  • One (@dstillman) might suggest it is useless but believe me it is not.
    Please don't assign positions to me that I haven't taken. But no, I don't think it makes much sense — it's not the job of programs to just switch to other programs without any specific context. That's exactly what Alt-Tab and Cmd-Tab and other OS-level mechanisms are for, and they apply to far more things than just this specific interaction. It is the OS's job to help you do this efficiently.

What I have said is that I think the plugin should have a button to bring Zotero to the front with the item for the citation under the Word cursor selected, since that's using the specific context from one program (the citation under the cursor) to focus something specific in another (the associated item).
    Now it's painful to use ALT+TAB
    Just as an aside, if you find Alt-Tab painful, I would strongly recommend trying to get better at that (or switching to macOS, which shows only programs, not individual windows, in the Cmd-Tab switcher, with Cmd-` to cycle between an app's windows). Being able to effectively switch between programs via the keyboard is the most important thing one can do to use a computer efficiently — so important that we have a documentation page about it, even though it's not specific to Zotero in any way.
    Afterward, a button in Zotero Standalone is needed to cite the selected reference to the Word Processor where the cursor is.
    No. There is zero chance we will do this. It's a totally broken idea conceptually — Zotero doesn't know what the active word processor document is (across potentially multiple windows of Word, LibreOffice, and browsers with Google Docs tabs), and even leaving that aside, dumping text at the current cursor position in another app would be bizarre, error-prone behavior.

As I say above, I think bwiernik's alternative suggestion, of having a button in Word to insert the selected citation(s) from Zotero, could work and could be an appropriate replacement for the classic citation dialog.
  • Is there any progress on this request?
    I am another member happily moving from EndNote to Zotero.
    However, I direly miss to select my references I want to cite in the library and add them with one keyboard shortcut to the active Word document.
    This works like a charm in EndNote and the feature would improve (my) user experience and working efficiency tremendously.
    Currently, I have to manually search and insert every citation in Word that I already searched for in Zotero. This is double work.
This discussion has been closed.