exporting to CSL JSON results in loss of fields

Apparent bug when exporting to JSON from Zotero standalone, version 4.0.17 running on Windows 7 Enterprise.

When exporting a book reference or entry-encyclopedia with a contributor, there is a difference in the markup output between TEI XML and JSON. The CSL JSON export appears to lose the contributor, i.e. it is missing the respStmt – not included. Similarly the "Series (number)" also disappears when exporting a Journal article as CSL JSON. Therefore, this issue may be more widespread.

Please note the difference in the export from a book item when comparing between TEI (okay):
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<listBibl xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0"><biblStruct type="book" xml:id="s2013"><monogr><title level="m">jello</title><author><forename>first</forename><surname>s</surname></author><respStmt><resp>contributor</resp><persName><name>contributor1, 2nd</name></persName></respStmt><edition>3</edition><imprint><pubPlace>here</pubPlace><biblScope type="vol">13</biblScope><publisher>me</publisher><date>2013</date><note type="accessed">2014-03-14</note><note type="url">cnn.com</note></imprint></monogr><series><title level="s">134</title><biblScope type="vol">XI</biblScope></series><idno type="ISBN">1324123413</idno><idno type="callNumber">BS134</idno></biblStruct></listBibl>

==========
and same book item exported as CSL JSON (missing item for responsibility statement/CONTRIBUTOR):
[
{
"id": 22,
"type": "book",
"title": "jello",
"collection-title": "134",
"collection-number": "XI",
"publisher": "me",
"publisher-place": "here",
"volume": "13",
"number-of-volumes": "20",
"number-of-pages": "13",
"edition": "3",
"source": "1324",
"archive": "afd",
"archive_location": "1",
"event-place": "here",
"abstract": "ab",
"URL": "cnn.com",
"ISBN": "1324123413",
"call-number": "BS134",
"note": "adaddsads",
"shortTitle": "o",
"language": "spanglish",
"author": [
{
"family": "s",
"given": "first"
}
],
"issued": {
"date-parts": [
[
"2013",
]
]
},
"accessed": {
"date-parts": [
[
"2014",
]
]
}
}
]

--------

Thanks for fixing this or letting me know if I am incorrect in my analysis.

William Straub
Systems Librarian and Web Developer
  • That's not a bug. CSL JSON is the format Zotero (and other software) uses to pass on data to the citeproc-js citation processor. Only variables defined in CSL are (and can be) included. Not all Zotero variables have CSL equivalents - that includes "contributor".
    You can see a full mapping here:
    http://aurimasv.github.io/z2csl/typeMap.xml

If you need a full export of Zotero data, Zotero RDF is the (only) way to go.
  • Another CSL-JSON export issue: "Presenter" fields of item type "Presentation" are currently not exported at all. They should be mapped to "author" (as zotero does, apparently, when sending such entries to citeproc-js).
  • edited May 9, 2014
    Export of several primary creator types is failing.

It's a small problem code-wise; there are just a couple of field ID mismatches in the export method. I've filed a suggested fix and confirmed that it works. When the team have a chance to review the patch, it should be fixed right up.
  • All done. The fix will appear in the next Zotero release.

https://github.com/zotero/zotero/pull/478
  • Curious about a comment on this old thread:

> Only variables defined in CSL are (and can be) included.

Will non-CSL variables actually break CSL readers, like pandoc? I stuck a "file" variable into a library export in CSL JSON format and pandoc seemed ok.
  • that depends on the processor, but I'd assume most won't care about additional fields, so wouldn't break. The way you'd typically parse JSON, you just ignore things you don't know.
  • Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks.