In text and bibliography question for referenced material

Hello Adam,

This question relates to a paper that is referenced in another paper/book etc.

My supervisors (old style) have now seen Zotero in my document (all 95K words so a lot of work has gone into using Zotero already) and want me to put just the original authors in the body of the document (with no mention of "In: xxx") and the full reference in the bibliography -i.e. this is where the "In: xxxxxx followed by the source would be listed.

Is that even possible using Zotero? If so how? If not, what work around could you possibly suggest?

In the body of my document, I currently have .... (Reeves, F. and Ward, R. (1984) In: Ward & Jenkins, 2010).

In the Bibliography it looks like this:

Ward, R. & Jenkins, R., (2010) Ethnic Communities in Business: Strategies for Economic Survival, Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press.

with no mention of the Reeves and Ward piece.

How can I (oh dear, it might involved me coding) tell Zotero to enter
In the text: (Ward, R & Jenkins (2010))
and
In the bibliography:

Reeves, F. and Ward, R. (1984) and the full title and full details (publication, volume, series, date etc. of the paper followed by "In: Ward, R. & Jenkins, R., (2010) Ethnic Communities in Business: Strategies for Economic Survival, Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press."

Separately, the bibliography should also mention the Ward piece in its own right:

Ward, R. & Jenkins, R., (2010) Ethnic Communities in Business: Strategies for Economic Survival, Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press.

I would appreciate all suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
  • edited March 13, 2014
    In Zotero, create two references: one for the secondary source, the other for the primary. In text cite the primary source, then in the bibliography add the secondary source.

Edit: you'll also probably need to manually edit the secondary source in the bibliography after adding it to include the "In: ..." part. adamsmith might know a different trick.
  • Thank you Aurimas. Love work-arounds! Much appreciated.
  • what aurimas says - you'll have to manually edit the bibliography for the In:... part.
  • No problem. I'll just make a note of which ones and every time I refresh the bibliography I'll know to make the edits.
    Thank you both.
  • If you use the "Edit Bibliography" function (as opposed to editing the bibliography directly), your changes should not disappear after refreshing
  • edited March 14, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic!

One question which I'm not sure there is a solution to.... probably as my document is so large.

It takes a long time for Zotero to respond. For example, it took 10 minutes to access the system in order for me to be able to edit a reference. Zotero was thinking.. during that time as the horizontal bar changed colour and was in processing mode for 10 mins before disappearing from the screen. In the meantime, I could not do anything else in the document. Any suggestions would be much appreciated?
  • How large is the document? Is your computer relatively new? This does happen for large documents, though 10 minutes is a bit on the high side.

Not sure if this will be helpful, but you can try submitting a debug ID (and post it here) for an operation that takes a long time and Dan can take a look to see if there is anything wrong going on.
  • Size of document is 3.10 MB, 345 pages I'm afraid.

MacBook Pro 3 years old.

To begin the debugging process, I clicked on "Zotero Set Doc Prefs" wheel 18 mins ago and Zotero is still thinking about it.

When it stops I will delete some of the document about 20 pages. Hopefully that will help. I also plan to delete some of the many graphics/charts/graphs - once it stops.

If it goes on for much longer, I will have to Force Quit Word and possibly Zotero then reduce the document's size as much as I can before trying again.
  • yeah, that's unfortunately the single worst combination there is: Word for Mac is by far the slowest word processor with Zotero and then an doc with 300+ pages on an old-ish computer: I'm not surprised you're getting these enormous lags. I don't think there is anything we can do about that.
    The actual size of the file doesn't matter, so there is little use in cutting out graphs&charts. It's the number of references & pages.
    I'd just let this run for 30 mins or so.
  • edited March 14, 2014
    29 minutes so far and no change.
    Not a good ad for Word for Mac.
    3 years is old-ish! Given how much this thing cost me! Shock!
    I have sooooooo many changes to make (the bibliography is 29 pages long) and so little time as I leave the country in a few days. Any suggestions?
    How about if I were to break up the document into, say 4 separate documents or even 2 documents? Would that help?
  • yes. Edit everything in chapters, then assemble at the end and only create the bibliography.
  • 55 mins and still thinking so will not be able to send the debug report.

I will force quit and break into chapters which was what I had before.

Thank you.
  • I have tried editing one reference and got the following message:

"Warning: If you edit a citation in the editor it will no longer update to reflect changes in your database or the citation style."

Do I accept?
  • Well, that depends - why do you want to edit the reference?
  • So that, in the bibliography only, I add "In:" and the secondary source - which is already in Zotero, but which, I think, I will have to type myself in the box provided. I don't want to change anything else. I just want to link TO references with "In:"

What I don't understand is "no longer update to reflect changes in your database or the citation style". Does this mean I will no longer be able to make any changes in Zotero at all or if I wanted to change the style? I hope I've misunderstood.
  • Once you edit an item in the bibliography that particular item will not update anymore, including if you change the citation style or if you edit that item's data in Zotero (e.g. fix a spelling error). Everything else will still update. It sounds like at the state where you are that'd be OK, but that's up to you of course.
  • Will go with that.

I assume that I could always just delete and re-enter the primary and/or the secondary source if I ever have a problem and that would take care of the spelling error.
  • The edit did not register.

I entered the full text In: .... and clicked OK. Zotero quivvered, but I did not see this reflected in the text (the bibliography) as nothing changed. I repeated it, but again nothing. Where did it go?
  • should work & does for me. If you click on edit bibliography again - does the item appear with or without the changes?

If all else fails, you could just do those changes at the end in a copy(!) of the thesis from which you have stripped the field codes (i.e. remove Zotero field codes).
  • edited March 14, 2014
    But also - if you're going to re-assemble the document as I gather you will need to, you can't edit the bibliography in each of the chapters - I'm pretty sure the edits won't stick around when you merge this.
  • My mistake. I had added the secondary source by clicking on the title in the box on the left hand side NOT the box on the right hand side of the screen - I got a blank area to type at the bottom.

Just clicked on the same title in the box on the right hand and the reference appeared. I added the In: +++ to it and all's well. as both primary and secondary references are listed in the bibliography.

Re your last message, the good thing is that I only need one LONG bibliography at the very end of the document! So when I merge there will not be more than one bibliography. That should cover it I think.
  • So you'll just need to make the edits to the bibliography once you merge, since you'll be deleting the individual bibliographies and adding a new one.
  • So, I think I am back to my comment yesterday.

"No problem. I'll just make a note of which ones and every time I refresh the bibliography I'll know to make the edits.
    Thank you both."

Only I will not bother editing the relevant bibliographies when I refresh. I will wait until the document is completed and merged THEN make the edits.

I just hope it will not take 30 minutes or more for each one because at that stage the document will be one large document and I will have to go in individually! No fun.
  • I just hope it will not take 30 minutes or more for each one because at that stage the document will be one large document and I will have to go in individually! No fun.
    You can edit the whole bibliography in one go.
  • Excellent. I look forward to doing so - at the very end.
    Thank you for your help.