JavaScript error - no libc

This is for error report 1569083439

I keep getting this in my error log:

[JavaScript Error: "Could not open system library: no libc" {file: "resource://gre/modules/osfile/osfile_unix_allthreads.jsm" line: 60}]

I'm using 4.0.17 on a macbook pro running 10.9

I also have apparently longer delays in zotero than many. I posted about this a few weeks ago, and it was partly solved by removing a large number of unnecessary notes. However, it is still relatively laggy (e.g., it takes 40 seconds to load when I first start up, and searches often take a few seconds; I have ~6500 entries). Perhaps the javascript error is related?

-Tom
  • That's a bizarre error, but are you actually experiencing a specific problem when that occurs?
  • The little red exclamation point is always there, and gives that error when I press on it. The only issue I have is slow response time (that seems slower than others who have posted here with ~6000 items).
  • Any thoughts on how to fix it? Remove it?
  • No one else has reported this, and it's a very strange error, so it seems like something is amiss on your system.

Out of curiosity, is this 10.9 or 10.9.2? If the former, you should upgrade. If you have any sort of security software, you can try disabling that. And while we pretty much never recommend it and it's unlikely to fix anything, you can try reinstalling Zotero Standalone.

Beyond that, the next version of Zotero Standalone might fix this, due to a change in the Mozilla framework — but this almost certainly isn't our bug, and it's unlikely we can do anything on our end to fix it.
  • I just discovered that I only get this error when the following is selected:
    "Sync attachment files in My Library..." under "File Syncing" (in the "sync" tab of the preferences)

When this is NOT selected, then the "Could not open system library: no libc" error does not occur.
  • Yes, you're getting it during file syncing — it's occurring in a Mozilla component that's currently only used during file syncing (but which will be used much more widely in a future version).

Did you try the other things I mentioned?
  • Let's see...

I am using 10.9.2

Disabled virus checking (not happy about that)

Stopped using filevault (disk encryption that is an option in OS X)

I'll try reinstalling Zotero standalone...
  • (obviously the disabled v-checking is just for troubleshooting. If that doesn't fix the problem you can re-enable it again. No one is advising you to permanently turn off virus protection)
  • Understood! :)
  • You can reenable FileVault (before it rewrites all data on your disk) — it's not a problem.
  • edited March 16, 2014
    After reinstalling Zotero (which just involves dragging and dropping into Applications?), and opening it up, the sync icon started spinning, but then Zotero hung for quite a while. Finally, I got an error icon, and it reported:

Conflicts have suspended automatic syncing.

Click the sync icon to resolve them.

when I then clicked the sync icon again, it spun for a bit, but then hung again. After a bit it asked me to resolve a conflict (for only one item). After that, it synced fine.

However, when I re-enable "Sync attachment files in My Library..." it still reports that odd "Could not open system library: no libc" error.

So reinstalling didn't work either.

Perhaps I could export my library, remove all traces of zotero, reinstall from scratch, and the import my library back?
  • No, absolutely don't do that. This isn't an issue with your library, and you can easily cause all sorts of problems doing that. This is an issue with your system. I don't have a suggestion other than to wait for the next Standalone build, which should be out soon, but leave your library alone.
  • Ok, I'll just wait on it then.
  • 4.0.19 still gives me the same error when I try to sync with "Sync attachment files in My Library..." selected in the preferences...

I haven't actually tried to see if the sync actually works. I assume not, because the sync icon only spins for a second before giving the error. I suppose I should try though..