downloading PDFs from a browser window

If I am viewing a pdf in my browser window (this website http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1987/1015/report.pdf for example), what is the quickest way of getting the file into my zotero library?

Currently, I save the pdf file to my desktop and then "drag and drop" the file into the zotero library. This is several clicks and twice that I have to wait for the file to transfer between drives. I think there is also a method using the chrome file download but this is more than one click and waiting for one file transfer.

Ideally there would be a similar button to the one click "save to zotero" from a journal website for pdf files.

I currently use windows 7 with zotero 4.0.17 and chrome 32.0.1700.107 m.
  • edited February 24, 2014
    This is one area where things are currently easier in Zotero for Firefox — in that, the "Create Web Page Item from Current Page" toolbar button will save the currently viewed PDF as a top-level attachment, and you can Retrieve Metadata or Create Parent Item from there.

There's an equivalent function for saving snapshots in the browser plugins, accessible via right-click on a web page background, but it won't work if a plugin is handling the content, so it's not possible to use it to save PDFs.

At some point there'll be a more visible way of triggering the web page item/snapshot function in Chrome and Safari — possibly an additional toolbar button — and when that happens the same method for saving viewed PDFs will be possible.
  • It doesn't always work, but grabbing the favicon at the left of the URL bar and dragging it into Zotero works about 90% of the time for me.
  • Ah, good point. That will work as long as a cookie isn't required for viewing the PDF (at the point of the final URL).
  • Nice to know what the actual reason when it fails!