Improve usability for OpenOffice/LibreOffice

I think the plug-in would benefit if:
1) a double-click on a citation would jump to "edit the citation"
2) If pressing the right mouse button on a citation (like for an index entry) would offer "edit citation"
  • edited February 18, 2014
    Absolutely no for 2) - Zotero should not mess with LO right-click functionality. I'm also not very happy with the thought of 1). It's not that uncommon to double-click in a document and I think it'd be confusing if Zotero came up. If you need those functions quickly, assign keyboard shortcuts:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_shortcuts

Edit: Just remembered why we wouldn't want to open edit citation on double-click. In the medium run I think it's highly desirable to live-link citation to their bibliography, so clicking should do that rather than open an edit dialog.
  • Not exactly sure why you're opposed to (2). I think the suggestion is to add "Edit Citation" menu item in the right-click menu, which would not be too invasive.
  • oh right, I did misunderstand that. Not sure how hard that'd be to do (and if it were implemented, it'd have to be in Word and LO to prevent support nightmares).
    Not sure whether it's worth the effort, though? Between keyboard shortcut and toolbar, do we really need a third way to get to edit citation, which many people won't use all that often anyway.
  • Yeah, I don't have a strong opinion for or against this and idk if this would even be possible. It probably wouldn't be a bad feature, but it's nowhere near the top of the ToDo list