Different sources, same author & year - not alphabetical?

Hello, thanks for your help.

My problem is that I am citing sources by the same author and the same year quite a few times in my thesis. TO differentiate them in APA style, Zotero uses (Author, 2013a), (Author, 2013b) and so on.

My problem is that for some reason these are not in alphabetical order in the text. I think they may be in the order which I added them to my library?

For example:

'Complications of mumps include meningitis, pancreatitis, encephalitis, deafness, and in post-pubertal men and women, swelling of the testicles and ovaries respectively (NHS Choices, 2013b).

Rubella is typically a mild illness. However, rubella is extremely damaging if caught by a woman before the sixteenth week of pregnancy, when it can affect foetal development (NHS Choices, 2013a)'.

This is the first time I have cited either of those references. They should have suffixes in alphabetical order, so 2013a, 2013b, etc. Refreshing my citations does not help.

Thank you in advance for advice.
  • This is correct APA style, see page 181 of the manual. In the reference list, items by the same author and year are sorted alphabetically by title. The first one then gets the 2013a, the second one the 2013b.
  • Thank you. My supervisor was wrong!