Transfering from my library to group fails to bring PDF attachment

Hi Zotero
We are having trouble with some users (periodically myself), in that if we move a bunch of items from "My Library" to a group library. It brings the item citation but not he attached PDF.
I have group file editing and library editing enabled for all members. They also have sync file attachments of group libraries through my "Admin" zotero storage. Currently at 52% capacity.

My library: Double-click on item and PDF opens.
Move it to Group library: Double-click and it and "The attached file could not be found. It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero."
Needle in a haystack if I try to find it.

This is occurring on the same computer and I am the group admin. But also between different computers and users when they try to add items and attachments from their own "my Library".

Strangely, this used to work seamlessly, and may still do for other groups.
  • If the item already exists in the group without the attachment (because you dragged it previously without the attachment or with file editing disabled in the group), dragging it again won't currently transfer the attachment. This is true even if the item is in the trash. Delete the item from the group first, empty the trash, and then drag it again.
  • I don't think the items were in the trash, but anyways I cleared the faulty items, cleared the trash and added them again. It works now when I access it from Zotpad, waiting to see if other group members can open them now. I'll let you know if it does not work for them.

Thanks for your help
  • I cannot add pdfs to my group folder even though I have paid for extra storage. I get the message that it is not permitted.

I have cleared out the trash, deleted anything that even looks like a reference to the item in my library and in the group library, but I Still can't copy the pdf to the group library (I can copy it to my library but neither from my library or from my local folder.

Ed Papenfuse
    segregatedbaltimore@gmail.com
  • are you the owner of the group in question?
  • what's the name of the group? Are you sure it's not a public, open membership group?
  • edited February 24, 2014
    The private group you own has file editing disabled. You can change that in the library settings on the website. Then sync and you'll be able to add files.

(No need to provide the group name here — I looked it up.)
  • And note that any items that already exist in the group won't have items added to them (even if they're in the trash), so you'll need to delete them, empty the trash, and redrag them after fixing the settings.
  • Dan:

When I tried to change the settings I got the message that there was a problem in recording my settings and they were not recorded?
  • Dan:

Never mind. It seems that I did not check off on all the options. When I did so, the settings saved. Sorry to trouble you. I have been a long time zotero user, but this is my first full press attempt to get my students to use it collaboratively with me.

Ed Papenfuse