How do you request an invitation for group membership?

I've tried all the documentation but can't find the answer to this question.

I want those coming to my group site on Zotero to know how to request membership.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks
Kevin
  • If they go to your group's lading page (e.g. https://www.zotero.org/groups/a_tale_of_souls_and_swords_eternally_retold) they will see a red Join Group button
  • Thanks, but my group's landing page doesn't have that Join Group button (I'm looking at it while logged out of Zotero). It is a closed public group, like yours. I've tried it on both IE and Firefox browsers.

The group is https://www.zotero.org/groups/south_ways.

It may be that it was originally a public group which I changed to closed. If so, it's a bug with Zotero.
  • it does for people who are logged in. E.g. I see the join group button on your page. Obviously you can't join a Zotero group without a Zotero account.
  • Though I think fcheslack may want to enable that button for all public groups and just redirect to a log-in/registration page if you're not logged in. Otherwise this is a bit confusing
  • OK then, that solves it!

Many thanks. :-)
    __

Melbourne Metropolitan Area Forecast
    Issued at 5:05 am EDT on Monday 10 February 2014
    Mostly sunny. Winds south to southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h increasing to 25 to 35 km/h with afternoon sea breezes. Max 24
  • That would be ideal, aurimas.
  • @fcheslack Any update on the group join button behavior where it does not appear unless logged in?
  • Sorry, this was not really on my radar, but I should be able to get something out in the next couple days.
  • Thanks, @fcheslack. If you can implement @aurimas' suggestion, that will be best, but simply not having the button appear is a good start (with a note that says "Login to send a join request").
  • @gurdas do you currently see a join button if you're not logged in? If so, on what page? That should already be the case currently. I was just talking about adding the message about logging in or registering to join a group.
  • Yes, you are right that the join button does not appear if the user is not logged in, which can be confusing by itself.

So, just having a message that says "Login to join" would suffice. And then, when the user logs in, they see the Join button. The part about showing the button at all times, but with redirection to login page if the user is not already logged in could be a future improvement.
  • @fcheslack Would it be possible to add a text box so people interested in joining a group can include a short message to the group owner?