Question regarding page numbers

Style: Harvard - West of England (Bristol)

Is there a way to tell Zotero to allow me to enter the exact page number in the in text citation, but to include the pages of the entire article in the bibliography? If so, how?

Here is what it looks like.
The entry in Zotero
Publication: Caribbean Geography
Volume: 4
Issue:
Pages: 116-130
Date: 1993
In text citation I want (Conway, 1993: 118) indicating the exact page the quote is found on although the entire article is on pages 116 to 130 but get:
(Conway, 1993: 116–130).

In the bibliography, I want the pages 116-130 that this journal article can be found on. NOT the page number of the quotation.
Conway, D. (1993) Rethinking the consequences of remittances for Eastern Caribbean Development. Caribbean Geography. 4 116–130.
But get
Conway, D. (1993) Rethinking the consequences of remittances for Eastern Caribbean Development. Caribbean Geography. 4116–130.
Note that there is no space between the Volume and the pages of the entire article.
  • the style isn't very well done — so page numbers get attached right to the volume when there's no issue number, so that's the second issue.

But for the first issue, that should just work by inserting the page number in the word processor plugin when you create the citation.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage
  • I do not see the Quick Format Citation Dialog as the plugin shows in my Word document:

Zotero insert citation --- Zotero edit citation -- Zotero insert bibliography --- Zotero edit bibliography --- Zotero refresh --- Zotero set doc prefs ---- Zotero remove codes.

Where do I find the Quick Format Citation Dialog.

Quick Format Citation Dialog

The Quick Format Citation dialog is used to select items from your Zotero library, and create a citation.

Start typing part of a title, the last names of one or more authors, and/or a year in the dialog box. Matching items will instantly appear below the dialog box.

Select an item by clicking on it or by pressing return when it is highlighted. The item will appear in the dialog box in a shaded field. Press return again to insert the citation and close the Quick Format Citation dialog.

Issue 1: I did insert the page number (118) in the Word plugin, but that page number was not printed. I think it might be because the following pages are already in Zotero (116-130). I would delete them, but I need those pages to be included in the bibliography.

Issue 2: How do I fix it to that the page numbers are not attached right to the volume where there is no issue number? I was hoping never to have to go into code again, but alas.... What instructions do I need to give the system so that it knows that when there is nothing in the "issue" field that it should leave a space before adding page numbers?
  • you get the quick format dialog when you click on "Insert Citation" or on "Edit Citation" while your cursor is in a citation.
    I'm not sure how you get to "Issue 1" without that, though, so I assume that problem is solved.

The Harvard Bristol style will print page numbers when you insert them in the Word plugin. It's possible that you removed that in your custom version of the style. Try a different citation style to test.

You can just add a space in a prefix to the page variable in the citation style, that should fix it.
  • Issue 1. When I click on "Insert Citation" I get taken to the entire listing of all my books, journal articles etc complete with the description of everything I have put into Zotero and from there I choose whichever one I want. Not a sexy little one line as per the screen shot.
  • The request to include page number is in the modified 2 style.
    Here it is although the example provided uses a long number. The following is the view from the Visual CSL editor.

(Accadia et al., 2012: P03012–P03012)
    (McInnis & Nelson, 2011)

Regarding "You can just add a space in a prefix to the page variable in the citation style, that should fix it." Do you mean in Visual CSL editor, I should add a space to the

Example Bibliography
    Accadia, T., Acernese, F., Alshourbagy, M., Amico, P., Antonucci, F., Aoudia, S., Arnaud, N., Arnault, C., Arun, K.G., Astone, P., Avino, S., Babusci, D., Ballardin, G., Barone, F., et al. (2012) Virgo: a laser interferometer to detect gravitational waves. Journal of Instrumentation. 7(03): P03012–P03012. NOTE THAT THIS P03012-P03012 IS HIGHLIGHTED.

Underneath it says

Macro: pages
    Macro: pages
    name pages

Do you mean I should add a space before the word "pages" on the last line. Is THAT the "page variable" you refer to?
  • edited February 6, 2014
    Re: page number: you've set this to "page" it needs to be "locator" for the in text citation (as it is for Harvard (Bristol))

Re 1: You must have set that up at some point in time. The quick format is the default, to toggle it back, uncheck the "use classic dialog" option in the Cite tab of the Zotero preferences.

Re: pages - you can try adding the space there and it's generally the right location, but it really shouldn't say "name pages" - it doesn't in the original Harvard Bristol style, but why not try it out.
  • 1. I have spent all day and still can't get it work.

I cannot find Harvard - West of England (Bristol) - the original in the CSL Editor. Search by name gives me No results found.

2. Now have the one liner. Thanks. Like it.

3. This is why I want to revert to the Harvard - West of England (Bristol) to start again.
    I felt I was so close, but now I have to start again.
  • just searching for "bristol" should get you the style.
  • I have noticed that since, my Word document is no longer allowing me to click on any of the tabs at the top i.e. New Page, open, save, print, cut, change font or colour etc. etc.

I can see them, but they are greyed out.

What happened?
  • Don't know. Have you restarted Word?
  • No. Just been working in CSL editor.
  • well, right, but whenever you have any computer problem the first thing to try is to restart the program. So if something isn't working right in Word, restart Word. If that doesn't work, restart the computer. Only if that doesn't work it's worth looking for specific troubleshooting.
  • Zotero was not responding so I Force quit Zotero and all's good in the world again. Well, that issue any way.
  • I am now trying a similar style: American Psychological Association 6th edition. Working in Visual CSL Editor.

I have added the : where I need it. I now need to do only two things.

In the Bibliography
    1. Remove . after the year
    2. Remove the , after the volume and issue (7(03):

I have touched absolutely nothing else.

Accadia, T., Acernese, F., Alshourbagy, M., Amico, P., Antonucci, F., Aoudia, S., … Astone, P. (2012). Virgo: a laser interferometer to detect gravitational waves. Journal of Instrumentation, 7(03):, P03012–P03012. doi:10.1088/1748-0221/7/03/P03012.

Will this ensure that 1. in the in-text citation I will be able to include the page number AND that in the bibliography the page numbers of the journal article will be printed?
  • Still with APA, the example of the in-text citation does not include a page number. (Accadia et al., 2012)

However, pp. appears. How do I get to the box that will show me pp, so I can delete it?
  • In case Adam Smith has left for the day, can anybody else help.

I am trying to find a way to delete . after the year of a publication in APA.

I am also trying to delete , after volume and issue ie. 7(03), and replace it with :

Would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thank you in advance.
  • I am also trying to delete , after volume and issue ie. 7(03), and replace it with :
    The comma is set as a group delimiter of the group two levels above volume. It has both prefix and delimiter set to ", " - change the latter to ": " (without quotation marks, of course.
    I am trying to find a way to delete . after the year of a publication in APA.
    also set as a delimiter, but this one is going to be a pain to remove, as it also affect the period after authors, title, etc.
    However, pp. appears. How do I get to the box that will show me pp, so I can delete it?
    you can change the example citations - including locators to be displayed with them - at the top right of the visual editor.
  • While waiting for you to find Harvard - West of England (Bristol) for me, I have modified Harvard reference format 1, but in validating it have received the following errors:

Warning: Being lax about non-RNC Content-Type: text/plain

https://raw.github.com/citation-style-language/schema/v1.0.1/csl.rnc

https://raw.github.com/citation-style-language/schema/v1.0.1/csl-terms.rnc

https://raw.github.com/citation-style-language/schema/v1.0.1/csl-types.rnc

https://raw.github.com/citation-style-language/schema/v1.0.1/csl-variables.rnc

https://raw.github.com/citation-style-language/schema/v1.0.1/csl-categories.rnc

Error: Element label from namespace http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl is missing required attribute variable.

From line 118, column 11; to line 118, column 39

<label strip-periods="true"/>↩

Error: Bad value p for attribute variable on element label from namespace http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl.

From line 176, column 15; to line 176, column 79

<label variable="p" suffix="" form="short" strip-periods="true"/>↩

There were errors.

How do I rectify them?
  • edited February 7, 2014
    only the last two are errors.
    <label strip-periods="true"/>↩ hard to say without context, but probably just delete the line.

<label variable="p" suffix="" form="short" strip-periods="true"/>↩
    should be "label variable="page" not "p"...
  • Thank you. Deleted the line. Don't know what difference it made as I can't see yet.

However, I had noticed that when I deleted age from page that the pp did not appear in the bibliography. Now that I added the p so have

"label variable="page" the pp is back as in

Simmons, G., Armstrong, G.A. & Durkin, M.G., (2008) A Conceptualization of the Determinants of Small Business Website Adoption Setting the Research Agenda. International Small Business Journal, 26(3): pp351–389. Available at: http://isb.sagepub.com/content/26/3/351 [Accessed January 19, 2014].

Apart from that all seems perfect.

How do I get rid of the pp?
  • then delete the entire line.
  • That did the trick! Thank you.