Firefox not responding--inability to access zotero

I had to install firefox on a new computer (thinkpad T430) running Windows 7. I made a mistake when first installing zotero in that I entered an old username instead of my current one. Zotero faithfully synchronized with the old data base, but I want to change my username and password in the preference dialogue box. However, I can't get to that step because as soon as I launch firefox and open a zotero tab, the program stops responding. If I log onto zotero.org via the web browser, I can see my account and libraries, but as soon as I launch the zotero tab, it shuts down.

Not sure what I did, but I'm stuck.

Also, thank you for providing this tool. I use it daily and I think it is the best database manager out there.

tt
  • edited January 30, 2014
    It would likely finish if you let it go, but there's no need — Zotero only auto-syncs when you open the Zotero pane. Go to the Zotero preferences via the Firefox Add-ons window and disable auto-sync in the Sync pane. Then put in your correct username and password.

At that point you could do Restore from Zotero Server in the Sync->Reset pane, but that only affects your database, and since there might be synced files from the other account left behind that way, you're better off opening the Zotero data directory, closing Firefox, and then just deleting the data directory. When you restart Zotero, you should see an empty library, and you can sync to pull down the data from your new account. (You can then re-enable auto-sync.)