bibtex export of legal cites

If you go to, eg, the LII and look at their Supreme Court collection, Zotero will correctly load the citation into its database, with such fields as Reporter, Court, Date Decided etc. The problem is, if you try to export these to bibtex, most of this information is lost (you get just title, author (empty), url, month, year). I realize that the fields that Zotero uses are not standard bibtex fields, but I wonder if a better solution might not be to export them anyway, under the names that Zotero uses, and let the user figure out how to handle them? Bibtex doesn't seem to mind if the entry contains non-standard field names, so this won't mess up existing databases: the new fields just won't be utilized unless a user constructs special support for them. The same consideration would apply to other non-standard sets of fields.

Another possibility would be to map the new fields onto existing ones: for example, the Reporter field might be mapped onto say the Institution field, and leave it up to the user to write bibtex bst files to support that usage. Is the mapping idea one that a user could implement within zotero, if one wished to?

One reason I raise this is that I'm now writing a biblatex package which supports legal case citations, and it would be nice to be able to integrate this with zotero.
  • Exporting non-standard BibTeX fields might be a good idea (and does seem to be a standard practice in other BibTeX apps), but I'll let other BibTeX users comment.

You can certainly modify the BibTeX translator (or a copy of it) yourself using Scaffold to change mappings.

For the BibTeX translator, you'd want to make sure you first use Reset Translators and Styles in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs. (This is only necessary for BibTeX and only in Zotero 1.0.* builds.)