zotero.sqlite

Is it possible that using the Zotero Database Repair Tool would speed up Zotero even if my zotero.sqlite has no errors in the database?

Also, a previous version of my zotero.sqlite was 800+kb, while my current version with the same number of items (around 5000) is only 52kb. Is that due to the change from Zotero 3 to 4, or is there some other explanation?
  • You don't mean 52kb - and empty database is about 800kb in size. Is that 52MB?
    52MB would be a typical size for a database your size. 800+MB would be quite extraordinary.
    No, database changes since 2.1 shouldn't affect database size much - a major factor is the amount of indexed full text, so this can vary quite a bit even with the same number of items.

Not 100% sure about speed, but I doubt it. What's the background?
  • You're right - I meant MB. Not sure about the 800MB, but I tried manually rebuilding a corrupted database at one point, so maybe that file is a very failed attempt from that operation.

The background is that I found the application SpeedyFox which seemed to speed up my Firefox performance by compacting/rebuilding the sqlite files (and maybe some other things too; I'm not sure). So, I was just wondering if Zotero would benefit from something similar.
  • edited January 24, 2014
    If you've previously deleted a lot of information in your database, it might reduce the size of the database. I doubt it'd make much of a difference in speed, and it's not something we recommend, but it won't do any damage.