OSStatus error 1712 @ displayAlert:document.m:186

I have 500 entries in the database and have just started experiencing a problem.

I am unable to do citations as every one now gives the same message:

"The highlighted citation no longer exists in your Zotero database. Do you want to select a substitute item?

Clicking "No" will delete the field codes for citations containing this item, preserving the citation text but deleting it from your bibliography."
Options= Cancel No or Yes

Then I get

Zotero experienced an error updating your document. (OSStatus error - 1712.) @ displayAlert:document.m:186]' when calling method: [ZoteroIntegrationDocument::displayAlert].

Help. Thank you in advance.
  • assuming you can still enter a citation into an empty new document, run through these:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents
  • Thank you for responding.

What are "image captions" as in "Check for citations in image captions...."?

Debugging broken documents

If you can insert citations into new documents but receive an error in an existing document, follow these steps to find the cause of the error:.
    NO PROBLEM WITH A BLANK DOCUMENT.

Make sure the Track Changes feature in Word/LibreOffice/OpenOffice is disabled, as it is known to cause problems with Zotero integration. (With the most recent version of the plugins this should not be the case any more - to be safe, do still perform this step, though.) If you had Track Changes enabled previously, try accepting all changes to see if that resolves the issue.

TRACK CHANGES WAS ALWAYS DISABLED.

Check for citations in image captions. Zotero won't let you insert them, but if you copied a citation to a caption that's most likely the source of the problem. Delete it.
    Try copying and pasting the document content into a new document to see if the problem goes away. You may need to click the “Set Document Preferences” button before your old citations will be recognized.

WHAT ARE IMAGE CAPTIONS?

Make a copy of your document—by duplicating the file itself, not by copying and pasting the content—to use for debugging.

Open the copied file and check if you get the error after switching to a different bibliography style.

CHANGED STYLE. PROBLEM PERSISTS.

If the document has a bibliography, delete it and check if you still get the error.

NO BIBLIOGRAPHY.

Check if “Report Errors…” in the Zotero Actions menu () is active and if new errors appear after attempting to insert a citation. If so, send in an error report and post the provided Report ID to the forums.

SENT REPORT. WILL REPORT ID (261163063). NOT SURE IF IT IS THE SAME ISSUE THOUGH.

Try to isolate the problematic citation. Delete half of the document at a time and see if the error still occurs.
    DELETED HALF DOCUMENT. PROBLEM PERSISTS.

If not, use Undo to restore the deleted section and then try deleting the other half. If you can reproduce the error in only one of the halves, repeat the halving process on the remaining section. Continue this until you find the problematic citation.

I FOUND A PROBLEMATIC CITATION. HOWEVER, WHEN I DELETE IT. ANOTHER PROBLEMATIC CITATION EMERGES.

Remove that citation from the original document and the problem should go away (unless there are multiple problematic citations, in which case you'll have to repeat the process). If you are able to find a problematic citation, you should also send that document excerpt to support@zot….org so we can take a look at it. For all other discussion, please post to the forums.

WILL SEND THE FIRST 2 DOCUMENT EXCERPTS TO SUPPORT@ZOTERO.ORG

I WONDER IF THIS PROBLEM IS BECAUSE I HAD INPUTTED A NUMBER OF REFERENCES WHICH BROUGHT ME UP TO THE LIMIT/CAPACITY? DOES THIS MEAN I WILL HAVE TO DELETE ABOUT 50 ENTRIES AND RE-ENTER THEM? I REALLY HOPE NOT.

While debugging, if you are using Fields mode in Word or Reference Marks mode in OpenOffice, it may help to display field codes rather than formatted text.

NOT USING OPENOFFICE.
    To do this in Word, press Alt-F9 on Windows or Option-F9 on OS X. In OpenOffice, press Control-F9.
    Word
  • I FOUND A PROBLEMATIC CITATION. HOWEVER, WHEN I DELETE IT. ANOTHER PROBLEMATIC CITATION EMERGES.
    not sure what you mean here. How exactly did you find a problematic citation?
    NOT USING OPENOFFICE.
    this actually works better in Word.
    I WONDER IF THIS PROBLEM IS BECAUSE I HAD INPUTTED A NUMBER OF REFERENCES WHICH BROUGHT ME UP TO THE LIMIT/CAPACITY?
    there is no limit, no.

Generally, step 8. is key - you want to run through that very thoroughly.

Also, what do you do when you get the message you initially reported ("the highlighted citation..."? Click yes or no?
  • Any chance you could explain how to get the system to pull in the name of an author (that is clearly entered into Zotero) instead of using "Anon"? e.g. Brinkerhoff, 2008.

What information does Zotero pull into Word for the citation when the record is of a video recording? It did not pull in the name of the "Contributor". To test the system, I also entered letters into Format, Series Title, Volume, # of Volumes, Place and Studio yet Zotero did not include any of those.
  • please start new threads for separate issues. You'll want to mention which citation style you're using (Contributor, though, never shows up in citations. Of the creators available for video recording, only "Director" will )