"Could not save item" in ScienceDirect?

Looking through a few of the ScienceDirect pages (e.g., for the journals Cognition and Neuropsychologia), I see the zotero icon in the address bar, but when I try to save the reference, I get the following error:

"Could not save item. An error occurred while saving this item. Please try again. If the error persists, contact the translator author."

Is this something I'm doing wrong, a bug, or a change on the ScienceDirect side?

Here's a DOI that fails for me:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2006.10.018

Thanks again for the great tool!
  • Confirmed. Probably a change on their end—we'll take a look at it. Thanks.
  • edited February 23, 2007
    When I try to use zotero with the online catalog of the Library of Congress, catalog.loc.gov, i also get this error on some searches, but not on others. what does this means? is it something that I could fix myself?

Thanks
  • I tried to save http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.infsof.2003.10.001 from ScienceDirect
    and got the same problem ("translator error"). I use Zotero V1b4.

Thanks,
    Peter
  • I'm having the same problems with Science Direct, an error message pops up referring me to a "known issues" page, which doesn't mention SD at all...
  • This is indeed new content on their end. I've experimented, and it's the box marked "new" on the top right, above "related articles". There are different types of "new" content, e.g., "Relevant terms from this article", but they all give the same problem.

FYI, if you refresh and click on the save icon *before* the "new" box appears on the top right, you can save it. But that doesn't always work, so you can a) save the pdf; b) use the "export citation" link; c) add attachment as "stored copy of file" as a workaround.
  • edited April 2, 2010
    Hm... I just noticed this thread is from 2007. But I was identifying a new problem in 2010, and has the features mentioned in my previous comment.
  • edited April 2, 2010
    Can you post a link? I have no problems with articles on SD currently (books are a different story though). I also have no new box, or in fact, any box above the related articles section. I even tried logging in to see if it were any display options in the preferences, but didn't find anything.

Edit: Okay, I just found the new box (it is from NextBio, which is very cool). I don't know why it didn't show up on the other articles I tried, but it did when I clicked the first link in this thread. However, it did not affect the translator at all for me. I was able to save the article without problem. What happens when you try on that article?
  • Hm... yes, that's the box I'm talking about. Here's an article where it definitely happened with me (but only via search, not when I linked directly to the article). Try this search in "All fields": "Long-Term Global Trends in Crop Yield and Production". Then choose the first item. I couldn't save it.

If that doesn't cause problems for you, then presumably it's something on my side, but I'm not sure what that would be. I'm using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9) Gecko/20100315 Firefox/3.5.9, and Zotero 2.0.2.

Eric
  • edited April 2, 2010
    If I click on the first result, I can save it from the item's page. Are you using SD as a guest, or with a subscription? I read a post from a couple of months ago that said the translator was broken for search results and guest users, and I don't know if it has been updated since (I know search results don't work for me). You should also try the things on this page if you have not already: troubleshooting_translator_issues [Zotero Documentation]
  • Hm... not as a guest, but via my University proxy. And I can save any other items, just not those with that box. I'll try the link to troubleshooting translator issues. Thanks!