moving storage folder by zotfile

I save all pdf attachments in a separate folder using zotfile. I wonder if I move this folder to a different location, how do I re-link them to zotero?

I think this is a useful feature, but I google a lot with no answers. Any response will be appreciated.
  • either using relative links http://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/advanced#linked_attachment_base_directory or using Zutilo:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/zutilo-utility-for-zotero/
  • Thanks adamsmith !

I probably go with the first method you mentioned.
    I also find another possible way to do this. Just list here for reference. Use zotfile to transfer files back to zotero first, then re-link them. As stated here https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/34463/convert-linked-file-attachments-to-stored-attachments/#Item_0
  • edited May 5, 2015
    @allenleeshining: Actually, the second method that you outline, you do not need to transfer files back to Zotero first. Just change the custom folder location and select all your attachments and hit "Manage Attachments>Rename Attachments". They will be transferred to the new location leaving behind just the empty directory tree (no files) at your previous location.
  • For anyone looking this up, Vijayanth's solution was the simplest and worked like a charm.
  • edited April 16, 2020
    No, it's really much cleaner and quicker to just set your Linked Attachment Base Directory properly, and then change it if you move the folder somewhere else. Using ZotFile for this means it has to actually move every single file separately and update each database entry, as opposed to just telling Zotero where to look for the new files.
  • dstillman, I assume your response is the method recommended when *not* using Zotfile, correct? Or does Zotfile also refer to the Linked Attachment Base Directory? From what I can tell (just trying out Zotfile), Zotfile uses its own absolute path for the Custom Location of files.

(Unless one sets Zotfile to "Attach stored copy of file(s)", which I assume just uses the Zotero internal database)

If one uses Zotfile, it seems like the batch renaming is the only way to go... unless there is another method that would simply point Zotfile to the new directory...
  • @ZenonMarko: The question here was specifically about how to move linked files from one location to the other, and I'm saying that there's no reason to use ZotFile for that, because that's the entire point of the Linked Attachment Base Directory setting.

Whether the files were originally added with ZotFile or manually makes no difference. They're still just linked files in Zotero. Normally you would set the Linked Attachment Base Directory to the same directory where you've configured ZotFile to save your files so that all your linked files use relative paths.
  • Thank you for clarification, @dstillman. I was a bit confused as to how Zotfile and Zotero get along; I wasn't sure whether perhaps Zotfile uses a different incompatible referencing method for linked attachments. It's good to know that Zotero treats all these linked objects in the same way.
  • The solution suggested by @dstillman worked like a charm. I had Zotfile saving PDFs in one folder and I wanted to move it. I moved it, then set Zotero's Linked Attachment Base Directory to that folder. All of my attachments open again.
  • Update: in 2023 _only_ dstillman's solution works: trying to get ZotFile to rename everything just makes it freeze up or give errors.