Collaborative authoring: Group library vs. "Store references in document"

I'm trying to collaboratively write an article with someone and we do not have a shared group library. The other party has checked "Store references in document" in the zotero document settings, and has sent an export of his library that I've imported. However, when I go to edit a citation in the text with several references (e.g. (1-6) in Vancouver style) the window under "Keep sources sorted" on the right of the multiple sources edit window is empty.

Is there a way to collaborate effectively like this without a shared group library? Is there something I can do to get the existing cited references to show up in the edit window? Thanks!
  • edited January 18, 2014
    The export/import of the library is ineffectual, that doesn't help at all for collaboration.
    Using store references in file should work, though. Can you insert a bibliography?

edit: it's also very much possible that the classic view of the citation editor doesn't work well with the store references feature. So try this with quick format as well.
  • edited January 18, 2014
    That _should_ have worked, but it seems to be a bit buggy. The list of references does show up in the "modern" version of Zotero Word add-on. It seems that you have the "classic" citation dialog enabled in your Zotero Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processors. If you disable that option, you should be able to access the modern version. As long as you don't need to re-arrange the items, you should be fine (you can add new references and remove existing ones). It doesn't look like you can re-add a reference if you remove it though.

Edit: modern mode = quick format bar
  • Thanks! The modern/quick format bar method seems to work. Any thoughts on how to enter an issue/bug/feature request to get it to work in classic view? Not sure if it counts as a feature request or how to frame it.
  • This is it. Devs read every forum post and they'll take it from here.
  • (though Simon doesn't do much work on the classical view anymore, so not sure if/how soon this is going to get fixed).