copying and pasting is broken

v 4.0.16 copying and pasting in zotero is broken - I can't copy/paste into zotero from firefox or libreoffice, nor can I paster internatlly within zotero. First the ctrl C and ctrl V functions broke then the whole thing. I'm using Linux, Ubuntu 12.10
I also get update notifications but there is no update to downloas from either ubuntu software centre or synaptic. When I downloaded a supposedly new version it gave me a wrong configuration error.
The copy paste thing is a real pain as it severely restricts Z's functionality - it was really good.
  • The current version of Zotero is 4.0.17, you should find a way to install that, it contains critical fixes.
    There is no zotero deb package maintained by Zotero. You should be able to manually update from within Zotero via check for update. If you really do want a package, see
    http://www.cogsci.nl/software/qnotero#ppa though note that's unofficial.

But I'm not aware of a copy&paste issue in Zotero under Ubuntu in any of the recent versions. What exactly are you doing?
  • Well my system won't let me update. From within the package I'm told that I don't have the right permissions - strange since I installed it. From the ubuntu software updater and from synaptic I'm told there is no update available.
    All i'm trying to do is copy and paste within the programme.
    1) magic wand tool doesn't allow pasting of DOIs or ISBNs either in standalone or in the firefox add-on.
    2) in standalone, I can copy and paste by mouse left click and select, for example when adding refrences through the manual form, but not by keyboard shortcuts which do work in every other prog.
    All very strange!
  • 1) magic wand tool doesn't allow pasting of DOIs or ISBNs either in standalone or in the firefox add-on.
    This is a known issue when using a _mouse_ to copy/paste. It should work via keyboard shortcuts.
    2) in standalone, I can copy and paste by mouse left click and select, for example when adding refrences through the manual form, but not by keyboard shortcuts which do work in every other prog.
    Not sure what to tell you about this. It generally works, so it's something specific to your setup. If you have any Zotero add-ons installed, please disable them and see if that fixes it.
  • Thanks - regarding 1) no it doesn't work with either keyboard or touchpad.
  • That might be because of (2) though. Unfortunately, I can't be much of help there with Ubuntu. Maybe adamsmith has some ideas.
  • it would depend on how Zotero was installed in the first place. As I say, there is no official package in the Ubuntu repositories, so that would really be where to check. It would probably work to run Zotero as root to update from within the program or to make sure that your regular user has write access to wherever Zotero is installed.

But if you're using the Firefox add-on, too: There is no way you wouldn't be able to update that - those updates come right from zotero. Are you sure you're still running version 4.0.16 there as well?
    in standalone, I can copy and paste by mouse left click and select,
    mouse _left_ click and select? That sounds like you have some you have some custom set-up? Unless you mean drag&drop I'm not aware of any copy&paste operation in Ubuntu that happens with left-click.
This discussion has been closed.