Syncing error

I just created a Zotero account and attempted to sync my library with the web server and received an error:

JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 652}]

The internet connection seems fine, so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Zotero Standalone? Are you connecting through a proxy server?
  • It's the Firefox extension version (not standalone), and I don't think I'm connecting through a proxy server (not sure how to tell though....)
  • You've restarted Firefox and tried again? (If you're using the Firefox add-on, it doesn't matter whether you're using a proxy, though you're correct that you likely aren't if you don't know).
  • Yes, I've restarted Firefox and also restarted my computer and I keep getting the same error. As far as I can tell, the internet connection is fine though.
  • any particularly strong security settings or firewall? Zotero syncs through standard ports, so this is unlikely, but worth looking at.
    Beyond that, please provide a debug ID for a failed sync attempt:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • What type of firewall or security settings should I look at? The reference library I'm creating is for a government org., and I know there are strong security settings in place. Any advice on what to look for specifically would be helpful. Thanks.
  • Dan would have to say - generally sync just runs on general https (i.e. port 443) and I can't imagine anyone blocking that, no matter how locked down the system is, but I may be missing something. Do provide that debug ID, though.
  • I tried to obtain the debug ID for the syncing error I'm having, but when I click on "submit to Zotero server", I'm getting an error of "Invalid response from server". My internet connection is fine, so does this sound like a problem with a firewall setting perhaps? I'm not sure what else to look for.
  • probably, yes. Click on "View Output" after running debug, save the file (ctrl+s) and send it to support@z..ero.org with a link to this thread.
  • Just to follow up, this was an SSL certificate error caused by sblumpkins's network. (We're supposed to show a proper error with a link to that page — I'll have to check that that's still happening.)