disappearing italics for book title

I am using Zotero standalone 4.0.17. and Microsoft Word on OSX. When I refreshed the document, I lost all italics in book titles.

I saw a previous forum but it didn't appear to have a recent answer to this problem.

Thanks!!
  • in the bibliography? Try adding a reference to a journal article that appears as the first reference in the bibliography (i.e. something by Abu Aaardwark or so), see if that makes a difference.
  • No, just in the footnotes. Sorry, should've specified that.
  • Odd - try running through 2-5 here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents
  • Did it all, except I am not sure I actually disabled track changes. Trying to figure out how to do that. But, the problem persists.
  • don't worry about track changes.
    Which citation style?
  • New development. I tried a new document just to see if it would happen again, and now zotero icon is showing up but not working at all. I've restarted everything including the computer a few times. I also tried my current document, zotero also not working with it.

Word for Mac 11

Chicago 16th full note.
  • I reinstalled the Word add-in, and now it will work. New footnotes are italicized, but I've refreshed Zotero and existing ones are not.
  • very odd. You've tried not just refreshing but switching to a different style and back?
  • I was having the problem of lost italics in my bibliography for a long time. I have 26 page single space bibliography and I was desperately thinking how to go over the entire document and italicize items one by one. After checking this blog, I added a fake journal citation Aaba Aaba. It was incredible to see that all my italics came back. Thank you so much for this tip.
  • Worked for me, too, this Aaaba trick - huge sigh of relief!
  • Yes, this is one of Word’s more annoying quirks that is fortunately not too difficult to work around.