Sharing resources with a group

Is it possible to have a private folder(s) for my resources that I do not want others to see as well as having a folder which I am happy to share as part of a group?

Or, if I want to share resources, will all my resources be available for everyone who is part of the group to see?

If it is possible to separate private from group, how do I do so? I imagine I'll be able to drag some from my private library into the group - public and that all my resources (whether private or part of the group) will be contained in the main library.

Thank you in advance.
  • You can't designate specific folders as private, no, but you can
    a) use a public group and keep your library non-public (the default setting for "My Library" is private and you can set a group as public when you set it up or at any later point) and
    b) create as many groups as you want, including private groups that no one but you (and anyone you specifically invite) can see.
  • Thank you.
    So, my current folders are in My Library are all private at the moment.
    How do I create one of the groups that would allow others to access them? I have a group for a book club and another group for a book I'm collaborating on.
  • you just create a group and select "public" as the group type. You then need to drag items you want to share to that group. But I feel like I'm missing part of your question, so if that doesn't answer it, maybe provide some more detail on what you want to do.
  • PERFECT!!! Thank you.
  • I do have another question..

When entering citations, a red bar appears and I have to choose "Classic view" before choosing the author. Is there any way that it might be possible to not have to always select "Classic view" and set it as standard? Just a thought.
  • Read through: http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage
    this will both give you an idea on how to effectively use the red ("quick format" bar), which is faster for many purposes, and tell you how to switch to the classic view.
  • Thank you.

I thought ISBN numbers were unique. When I entered 978-1-906433-09-03 into Zotero, it brought up "Outpatient phenothiazine use and bone marrow depression. A report from the drug epidemiology unit and the Boston collaborative drug surveillance program". This is not what I was looking for.

However, when I put the same ISBN number into Google I get this (which is what I want): http://www.chronicpoverty.org/publications/details/the-chronic-poverty-report-2008-09/ss

Just wonder what is going on.
  • (generally better to start new threads for entirely unrelated issues, but this is short, so let's do it here:)
    That's not a valid ISBN - it has 14 digits, ISBNs have 10 or 13. Zotero then cycles through other possible identifiers and in your case finds the valid pubmed ID 906433 and imports that. The correct ISBN for your book is
    9781906433093 (not 03)
  • You're amazing! Thank you.