Using OSCOLA CSL with other software

As requested at https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5505/3/style-request-oscola/, I am posting a description of an issue I have encountered when using the OSCOLA CSL file with software other than Zotero--in my case, Pandoc.

The CSL file I am using is from http://citationstylist.org/uploads/mlz-oscola, dated 2013-11-03.

The input file is LaTeX. Citations are inserted using BibLaTeX \autocite commands. The Bibliography.bib file is actually exported from Bookends but it is valid BibLaTeX and opens in BibDesk without difficulty.

This is the command line that I am using:

pandoc test.tex --filter=pandoc-citeproc --bibliography=Bibliography.bib --csl=mlz-oscola.csl -s -o test.docx

The footnotes end up looking like this:

Interview with Tribe Laurence, ‘Policy Science: Analysis or Ideology?’ (1972); Interview with Laudon Kenneth C, Computers and Bureaucratic Reform: the Political Functions of Urban Information Systems (Wiley New York 1974); Interview with Mowshowitz Abbe, The Conquest of Will: Information Processing in Human Affairs (Addison-Wesley Reading, MA 1976).

In that example, the first item is a journal article and the second two are books. None are interviews.

The bibliography looks like:

Interview with Mowshowitz Abbe, The Conquest of Will: Information Processing in Human Affairs (Addison-Wesley Reading, MA 1976).
Interview with Murray Andrew D., The Regulation of Cyberspace: Control in the Online Environment (Routledge-Cavendish 2006).
Interview with Packard Vance, The Naked Society (Penguin books 1966).

I can post or copy-and-paste a minimal example that will demonstrate the problem if that would be helpful.
  • As stated on the CitationStylist site, the MLZ Oscola style is written in CSL-m, an extended version of the Citation Style Language. CSL-m is supported only (as far as I know) by Multilingual Zotero (MLZ), which is distributed via the same site.

(There is a book on MLZ, if you're interested in the details.)

The MLZ OSCOLA style will not work with the pandoc toolchain, which requires standard CSL styles. If you use the OSCOLA style from the main CSL repository, you should get better results.
  • If you find problems with secondary sources using the regular oscola.csl from zotero.org/styles or https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles (those are identical), you can continue here.
    As I said, legal sources are unlikely to come out correctly in anything but Zotero at this point - expanding CSL to make those work more reliably and cross-application is one of our new years resolutions ;).
  • @fbennett - Thanks for the clarification, I hadn't noticed that caveat. I have been meaning to get the book for a while and should prioritise it.

@adamsmith - Yes, secondary sources are problematic. Using the regular oscola.csl, the footnote becomes:

Laurence Tribe, ‘Policy Science: Analysis or Ideology?’; Kenneth C Laudon, Computers and Bureaucratic Reform: the Political Functions of Urban Information Systems (Wiley New York 1974); Abbe Mowshowitz, The Conquest of Will: Information Processing in Human Affairs (Addison-Wesley Reading, MA 1976).

The book references are correct but the article (the first item cited) is missing information about the journal issue that it was published in.

It also doesn't do back references, which I think is only a feature of oscola-mlz.csl. Would it be difficult to add this feature to the regular oscola.csl?
  • oscola.csl does do back references - not sure if it's implemented in pandoc, though.
    I'll have to look at this in pandoc, which won't happen super quickly, but I don't see any reason this shouldn't work in the style.
    You're sure that's the first citation of the Tribe article in the document?
  • OK, thanks, take your time. I'm sure that is the first citation of Tribe.
  • I thought this was fixed in citeproc-js a while ago, but it seems Zotero still uses a default of match=any for conditionals, so based on this line in oscola.csl

<if type="article-journal article-magazine article-newspaper legal_case">
    Zotero renders the journal title etc. while pandoc-citeproc, using a default of match=all (as required by the CSL specs) does not.

The line should be changed to

<if type="article-journal article-magazine article-newspaper legal_case" match="any">
  • Yes, citeproc-js still has the old setting. The switch-over has been agreed, and the adjustments have been made to the repository styles, so I should make this change in the processor sometime soon.
  • Actually, there is an open ticket regarding the "type" condition at https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/issues/108 concerning this issue.
  • OK, OSCOLA and AGLC are now fixed, sorry about that and thanks to nickbart for tracking it down.