Direct Link to pdf indexing tools?

Hello,

I am having problems with the pdf indexing feature of Zotero. Through some troubleshooting, I think that I am being served an incorrect version of the pdf indexing tools when I install Zotero for Firefox. I need a 32 bit version, but am being served the 64 bit version. I am running Ubuntu on a Chromebook, which requires 32 bit versions. Is there a direct link to the 32 bit versions, which I can download and save to my firefox profile directory? Thanks!
  • But you're running a 32-bit version of Firefox? Can you provide a Debug ID for an attempt to install the tools, after deleting the pdfinfo/pdftotext files from your Zotero data directory?
  • Maybe this is my problem?

Firefox Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686 on x86_64; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0
  • Oh, so you're using 32-bit Linux on a 64-bit system? I guess that would do it, and we should go based on the architecture of the Firefox/Zotero version instead.

Here are the current 32-bit Linux files:

https://www.zotero.org/download/xpdf/pdfinfo-Linux-i686-3.02
    https://www.zotero.org/download/xpdf/pdftotext-Linux-i686-3.02

You'll need to download them to your Zotero data directory and rename them, and also create .version files. You should be able to figure out the specifics from what's there now.
  • Thanks for the links, I think I may have misinterpreted my problem however (also, not sure that ticket is needed). I manually installed the files you listed, and renamed the files. Restarted Firefox and still not able to index pdfs. Zotero is now prompting me to download the other pdf tools:

Available downloads for Linux i686 on x86_64 from zotero.org:

- pdftotext version 3.02
    - pdfinfo version 3.02

I now suspect that the indexing problem (Cannot read text from PDF) is related to my system rather than Zotero, so I will have to take my problem off of these forums.

Thanks again for your help.
  • Well you'd have to name the files based on your current ones (i.e., 64-bit), since for the time being Zotero would still look for the existing filenames. If you do that all properly, Zotero shouldn't be asking you to download anything, since it should already think they're installed.

Assuming you can't run a 64-bit executable on 32-bit Linux, even on a 64-bit system, the ticket is still needed.
  • Ok, I renamed them properly this time. Not prompted to re-download/re-install. Reloaded Firefox. Still not able read pdf text. Again, I'm going to blame my wacky system. Thanks again for taking the time on this one.
  • All right. Trying to run those executables from the command line might shed some light on what's happening.

(I also realized that I can fix the version problem on the server, so the ticket is now closed.)
  • What is the download path for Windows (Dan Stillman on Jan 17th 2014 only names the Linux binaries, and the path is hard to guess)?
    Could it be that the standalone installer removes existing PDF tool when updating an installation? I thought I had the tools installed, but can't find them anymore...