Easy superscripts and subscripts, without html coding

There's an easy way to have superscripts and subscripts in your item titles in both in your user interface main screen, and in your bibliography. If you hit an entry, then the title text to highlight it, and go to, say CO2 (carbon dioxide) and you want to subscript the "2", you just go to the Edit menu (menu bar) then all the way down to "special characters." A small window pops up with choices. You select view Roman on the top, then Digits on the left hand side and a bunch of numbers show up but the seventh line of those numbers are subscripts. You select the two, then hit "insert" and you are good. You can save that to a Favorites screen by using the lower left gear icon. You can also vary the font and style of the subscript. It works great. Looks much better than CO<sub>2</sub> html coding, which was the only suggestion I could find in Zotero's documentation.
  • I could not find a way to do this for italics. Think you still have to code it, as in <i> letters </i>
  • Only concern would be whether that works with all fonts in the word processor. I'd make sure to test this before using it widely.
  • just go to the Edit menu (menu bar) then all the way down to "special characters."
    Is this on a Mac? Or is this on zotero.org inside a browser? I don't see it on Windows in Zotero Standalone.
    You can also vary the font and style of the subscript.
    Not sure how that works out... but then again, I'm not entirely sure what "special characters" window we're talking about. My assumption is that it's a character map.
    It works great. Looks much better than CO2 html coding, which was the only suggestion I could find in Zotero's documentation.
    If you are inserting from a character map, then you will have only a limited number of subscript/superscript characters. HTML formatting can accommodate much more. In case of superscript/subscript, I don't think it would particularly matter if you used a special character or HTML formatting, but something like italics you would definitely want to follow Zotero's suggestions (not aware of any hacks for this anyway), because the italics may need to be flipped for some citation styles.