slow synching and seeming to restart dowloads and not tackle uploads

I am a member of a group library. Although have automatic synching ticked in Zotero preferences, and this had always worked before discovered yesterday that when clicked on the manual synching button it indicated that there had been no synching with server for 37 days. I therefore clicked manual synching. The icon went around and around for almost 24 hours I think (turned computer off but it seemed to keep synching). The bar alongside indicated progress on 'downloading files'. This also curious as I am probably the most active contributor to our library at the moment and I thought if anything was going to take a long time it would be uploading all the files I have created - most with PDFs attached. This morning the download appeared to finish and a start made on uploads. There was a message saying 9% of uploads had been synched. Then suddenly this stopped and the synching seemed to revert to downloading again. It is currently showing: progress of 8%, Downloads 436 MB remaining, 3/6 files. Uploads 0KB remaining 0/66 files. But is going very very slowly as it did yesterday. I am wondering if something is wrong? Should I be doing something different? Have I added too many PDFs? I think our team leader had purchased some more Zotero storage space recently but perhaps this has been exhausted. I am a novice in the world of Zotero so would be grateful for your assistance as soon as you are able.
  • edited January 8, 2014
    I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it turns into a chronic problem. If a file sync (shown by the presence of the blue progress bar) stalled, just stop it and restart it, or restart Zotero/Firefox. Even if there's an issue with your network connection, it should finish eventually.
  • (And space is not an issue. You'd get a specific error if it were.)
  • Thankyou Dan. I have restarted Zotero/Firefox as suggested. The synching button is still going around. It initially indicated progress of 7% but is now (2hrs later) indicating that last synch was 2 mins ago and Progress 1%, Downloads none. Uploads 0 KB, remaining 0/66 files. My concerns are:
    The synching seems to get to a certain stage (about 7-11%)and then revert back to zero and start again. I don't think a complete synch has happened since I started trying yesterday.
    The synching process also seems to make it difficult for me to work on other parts of Zotero without my data entry stalling.I am wondering if I should just turn the synching off all together and try again tomorrow. How do I do this? Closing Firefox/Zotero does not seem to stop the synching as the arrow is still going around the moment I restart? I would be grateful for your further suggestions
  • you can turn off auto-sync in the "sync" panel of the Zotero preferences.