Papermachines

I am really surprised that this amazing tool isn't getting more traction here. Now it seems like Chris Johnson-Roberson, the author of the tool, is no longer actively supporting it (no commits in over 2 months). But as I understand it (and I am, alas, no programmer), everything he used was open source: Maller for the topic modelling, d3.js for the great visualization, etc. There are a number of additional features which we think would be useful to its users. Now I have no idea what this would entail in terms of time/money. But if anybody is interested in further improving this plugin, please get in touch with me. Thanks!

-Stephan
  • I don't think people have given up on this. I was just in touch with Jo Guldi a month ago and she's still very excited about it (and eager to hear about applications). Two month without commit activity isn't particularly long for a one-person run software project - and even the three weeks without answers since the last issues you opened - over christmas and all - don't seem that long, given that Chris has a full time job.
  • edited January 8, 2014
    Glad to hear! I'll contact Jo Guldi. For instance, I'd LOVE to see somebody hook papermachines up with the dfr-browser that Andrew Goldstone has made. http://agoldst.github.io/dfr-browser/demo/. Just imagine that you'd take any corpus in Zotero, would be able to generate those great streamgraphs (which I really find a VERY intuitive visualization) and the wordclouds that are generated for each topic), but you'd then also be able to drill down like that topic browser does. Wouldn't that be every researcher's dream? :)