resync fails, report #1609017669

I am trying to reupload my local zotero library here, and I filed report #1609017669. I lost the original error message since I clicked finish (maybe?) but there's still a red exclamation mark that gives me this when I click it:

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Error: Uploaded data not well-formed (Report ID: 5a59a14007)' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001c (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_JS_OBJECT)" location: "" data: no]"]

Am I doing something wrong?
  • You're not, but start by emptying the trash in all of your Zotero libraries, and let us know if the problem remains.
  • (Though what do you mean by "reupload"? As in, you're doing a Restore to Zotero Server? Why?)
  • Actually, you're still running Zotero 4.0.11, which is well out of date. You need to upgrade to the latest version of Zotero, currently 4.0.17. (You also appear to be using a packaged Linux version of Zotero — your version number is 4.0.11-1, which isn't an official version number — so it's important to say that when reporting issues.)
  • After emptying the trash, I still can reproduce the issue, this time in the browser plugin (4.0.16):

Uploaded data not well-formed (Report ID: 735e60af23)

Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///usr/lib/iceweasel/extensions/%7B972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd%7D/chrome.manifest'.

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Error: Uploaded data not well-formed (Report ID: 735e60af23)' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001c (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_JS_OBJECT)" location: "" data: no]"]

Reported as #305211944.

I mean "reupload" because somehow my library on zotero.org is completely empty. Maybe I trashed it because it was out of sync at some point? I don't remember exactly.

And yes, I am clicking the "Restore to zotero server" button. :)

Sorry for not mentionning the version of the standalone plugin...
  • 1) That version is still out of date, though that's unrelated.

2) You messed up your database manually altering Date Added values. You're on your own here.
  • I see. I would be curious to see what I missed when changing the date added field. Was there a related field somewhere else in the database?
  • The dates are invalid.
  • Sorry? how invalid? They look fine here.. And they display properly in the UI...
  • They're supposed to be SQL DATETIMEs.
  • Awesome, thank you very much for the precision! I would have never guess that!!

So sync works now, sorry for the trouble, entirely my fault. :/
  • [solved] I submitted a report within the last 60 minutes of a similar issue. I lost the report ID but hopefully this is enough information to match it up.

What happened:
    1. manually added many files
    2. use python script to change date (more on this later)
    3. sync fails with "not well-formed" (that's about all the information the red exclamation gives, not even *what* is not well-formed)
    4. searching these forums I decide to locate any funny file character. There are 2, out of >300 files (that was tough! had to write a script to find it.)
    5. Turns out #4 doesn't solve it. Befuddling!!!
    6. Finally found where to find an error log in Preferences>Advanced. I don't remember what the error says. It follows a super-long SELECT query prior to sync.

It turns out the "not well-formed" was a result of #2. If you use python's datetime to modify items.dateAdded, it may insert YYYY-mm-dd HH:MM:SS.uuuuuu, where uuuuuu is floating point seconds. That is what caused the sync to fail. Length constraint?

I'm too tired to figure out how to fix this in python, so I fixed it with sqlite3 on the db using a variation of

update items set dateAdded=strftime('%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S', dateAdded) where clientDateModified > '2014-01-23';

It's syncing now. If you don't see a followup from me, it worked.

Hope this helps someone. Aside of this funky issue I've found messing with dates is no problemo.

Thanks Dan Stillman for your work.