citing personal papers

Hi--new here so sorry if this has been covered--can you possibly add Personal Papers in the 'type' selection? The closest I can find is manuscript, but then it puts things in quotes...so if I wanted to cite someone's personal papers in an archive (letters, photos, diaries, etc), I cannot do it. thx, Elspeth
  • Manuscript should be right - which citation style?
  • Hi, thanks. Answer: Chicago. Unpublished manuscripts require quotation marks, but the citation of the collection itself (in which an unpublished manuscript is located, perhaps) is not set off by quotation marks. So, for example, the Chicago Manual of Style lists the following types of note forms for manuscript collections (see their 14.240). I am looking for ways to cite (using the examples below) the Edward M. House Papers, Yale University Library; or the Phillipps Collection of Egmont Manuscripts, 14200:13, University of Georgia Library, etc. But I cannot see the appropriate pull down item on the list. Given that Zotero was developed by historians (who consult such collections a lot), I am thinking I must be missing something. Thank you, Mr. Invisible Hand.

40. George Creel to Colonel House, 25 September 1918. Edward M. House Papers, Yale University Library.
    41. James Oglethorpe to the Trustees, 13 January 1733, Phillipps Collection of Egmont Manuscripts, 14200:13, University of Georgia Library (hereafter cited as Egmont MSS).
    42. Burton to Merriam, telegram, 26 January 1923, Charles E. Merriam Papers, University of Chicago Library.
    43. Minutes of the Committee for Improving the Condition of the Free Blacks, Pennsylvania Abolition Society, 1790–1803, Papers of the Pennsylvania Society for the Abolition of Slavery, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia (hereafter cited as Minutes, Pennsylvania Society).
    44. Hiram Johnson to John Callan O’Laughlin, 13 and 16 July 1916, 28 November 1916, O’Laughlin Papers, Theodore Roosevelt Collection, Harvard College Library.
    45. Memorandum by Alvin Johnson, 1937, file 36, Horace Kallen Papers, YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, New York.
    46. Undated correspondence between French Strother and Edward Lowry, container 1-G/961 600, Herbert Hoover Presidential Library, West Branch, IA.
    47. Memorandum, “Concerning a Court of Arbitration,” n.d., Philander C. Knox Papers, Manuscripts Division, Library of Congress.
    48. Joseph Purcell, “A Map of the Southern Indian District of North America” [ca. 1772], MS 228, Ayer Collection, Newberry Library, Chicago.
    49. Louis Agassiz, report to the Committee of Overseers . . . [28 December 1859], Overseers Reports, Professional Series, vol. 2, Harvard University Archives.
    50. Gilbert McMicken to Alexander Morris, 29 November 1881, Glasgow (Scotland), Document 1359, fol. 1r, Alexander Morris Papers, MG-12-84, Provincial Archives of Manitoba, Winnipeg.
  • ah, OK, I misunderstood what you were referring to - I thought you meant and individual personal paper.
    Archival Collection as an item type is needed and will be added, almost certainly in version 4.2 of Zotero:
    https://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/issues/27