Report ID: 1562539089 - name too long problem prevents sync

Name 'American Heart Association Council on Quality of C…' too long
error prevents completion of sync, is difficult to resolve
cannot find this item in Standalone, as it has not been synced
it would help to either auto-resolve (acceptable) or provide means to manually edit; under current circumstances I need to go to on-line database, find the offending record and edit it there; even this is not easy - searching on American Heart Association Council does not find any record there.
  • The reason you get "too long" errors is because the online database has limited space for certain fields (this is not the case for local data). So the only time you would get that error is when you're trying to _upload_ the offending item. Check your trash, local and group libraries for the said item. I suspect ''American Heart Association Council on Quality' will be an author.

If you find the item, look at the Library Catalog and URL fields and, if you can, post them here so we can address this issue on import.
  • Library Catalog: NCBI PubMed
    URL field, blank

for what it's worth: PMID: 23439512

Appeared to be the offending record, with:

American Heart Association Council on Quality of Care and Outcomes Research, Emergency Cardiovascular Care Committee, Council on Cardiopulmonary, Critical Care, Perioperative and Resuscitation, Council on Clinical Cardiology, and Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia

as the last author.

I copied the long author entry to a note and put an abbreviated form in its place, and sync was successful.

This was a bit complicated. It would be nice if Zotero would copy offending entries to notes and replace them in length-restricted fields with an indicator it they have done so, so processing could proceed automatically.
  • FWIW, those are 5 different institutional authors:

American Heart Association Council on Quality of Care and Outcomes Research

Emergency Cardiovascular Care Committee

Council on Cardiopulmonary, Critical Care, Perioperative and Resuscitation

Council on Clinical Cardiology

Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia

It's a mistake in PubMed and you can report it. We've seen it once before (different paper I believe) and there's just no good way to automatically split these. We should come up with a better way to notify the user when this happens, but a note attachment may be too subtle and a sync error is too scary.
  • Don't bother to report errors in the content or punctuation to PubMed. They can't take your word that your correction is true. PubMed will suggest that you contact the journal. If the journal agrees with you, they can send a correction to the already-sent record when they send a new set of records. These kinds of errors and corrections are quite common. The corrected record will have a new date.