Cannot open Zotero Standalone Ubuntu 12.04

Debug ID D128623816 - maybe I retrieved this debug code properly? I installed Zotero for Firefox in order to enable debugging, then tried to start Zotero from Ubuntu. I then immediately Sent the Code to Zotero and copied here.

I cannot open Zotero Standalone for Ubuntu. Installed Firefox extension and everything seems fine, library is intact. Also checked this thread, all read and write permissions seem to be in order. Any other ideas?
  • Debug output from Zotero for Firefox doesn't help with a Zotero Standalone problem. See Reporting Startup Errors. You can also add -zoterodebug to the command line to generate real-time debug output for the startup, which you can ZIP and email to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • But you also haven't said what the actual problem is that you're facing. What happens when you try to open it?
  • Nothing happens. It doesn't open. I cannot even click on the icon in Dash, and the icon on the launcher blinks and then nothing.
  • try to run zotero from terminal:

/usr/bin/zotero: line 3 ./zotero: no such file or directory
  • I used a 'which zotero' command to navigate to /usr/bin
  • Why is there a 'zotero' executable in /usr/bin/zotero? If you're using a package, you'll have to ask the maintainers of that package. We can only support the tarball from zotero.org.
  • Hmm, okay. I will keep trying and see if I come with a more specific question. Thanks for the help!
  • if you do ls -l /usr/bin/zotero Does it show something like zotero -> /something/something/something/zotero?

If so, try running zotero by typing in the /something/something/something/zotero(assuming it starts with a / and not ../)
  • Hmm, nope:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 36 Dec 20 15:41 /usr/bin/zotero

Weird, because this is the Zotero Standalone from the Ubuntu Software Center. At least the Firefox version is working, which I will just have to stick with for now.

I am runninng Ubuntu on a Chromebook via crouton. Not sure if that is perhaps also a part of the problem, but Zotero Standalone was working fine a week or so ago when I tried it last.

Thanks again, all!
  • Weird, because this is the Zotero Standalone from the Ubuntu Software Center.
    Yeah, we don't have anything to do with that, I'm afraid.